Throat problems after being strangled

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm new here and was just after a. It of advice. Unfortunately due to an altercation waiting for a taxi I was attaked and strangled for around 10 seconds. I wasn't unconscious and felt I had got away relatively unharmed, however I have been having problems since and it has now reached the 12 day point and I'm not seeing much improvement. The main problem seems to be finding it difficult to speak.

I am finding I am having to force myself to talk and it is uncomfortable and my voice is every weak. It almost feels like there is something stuck in the middle of my throat. The pain has went down and isn't so much of an issue but the fact I'm finding it hard to talk is severely affecting my confidence and making me feel vert down, especially in work.

I have been to the walk in centre but they have said I should go to a and e. I have left it so long as I just thought it was brushing however I'm worried something more serious may have happened. I haven't yet been to my doctor for the same reason.

Any advice or reassurance from anyone who has went through the same would be very much appreciated.


0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

  • Posted

    I would take the advice and go to A & E and get it checked.

  • Posted

    It's probably just inflammation around your larynx (voice box) but I would still get it checked in A&E as they have specific instruments that they can use to see down your throat. They don't judge, just tell the truth. I'm sure you'd be reassured if you went.

  • Posted

    your description of "something stuck in the middle of your throat" may be a very good description of what has actually happened.   You must get this checked out immediately as strangulation can exert quite brutal forces on your neck. if you are in UK either go to A/E or your own doctor.

  • Posted

    You need to see your doctor! He may want to have x-rays or other tests done! I've had problems with my throat and had surgery twice! They took out my thyroid and have to take thyroid meds for the rest of my life! 

  • Posted

    Sorry to hear about your awful ordeal , it sounds as though your vocal chords have been affected there may be swelling , I'm no expert at all and I always put things off but I urge you to go to your GP or A&E , it's not been that long since the incident , you need to get it looked at by a pro I'm sure with the right treatment you will be fine but it needs attention , good luck

  • Posted


         Hun you definitely need to go get checked out as there are alot of things in your throat that could have been damaged and they can see what's been affected so you can be treated and get better, don't put this off, I know I have to talk that's just me and couldn't imagine not being able to talk like I'd want. Just get checked out so everything will be alright. Keep us updated, and God Bless You...

  • Posted

    Thanks so much for the reply guys. Going to a and e was a complete waste of time. After 4 hours I was told he can't really do or check anything and to go back to my gp and ask him to be referred to and e and t specialist. Feel even more anxious about this than before as will need to take even more time off work which I can't really afford to do.

  • Posted

    Morning Dean; if the A&E weren't any help, then I'm ashamed of them.  I feel you need an Ultrasound of your throat, and if anything is discovered then mabe something more. I do believe an ENT  specialist would have some answers, so long as it is a Good ENT, and not one supplied by the hospital, as their lists are sooooo long, and you will be waiting quite a while to be seen (hoping that you can afford to see one privately, and pay the Out of Pocket expense after the rebate??)....I would hate for you to have a damaged Voice Box, and have to live with this for ever.  If this is a result of an attack (and am so sorry that you have had to go through this, for as you say, and I do understand, that not only have you to deal with the attack emotionally, but the consequences are hard to deal with too).As this was a result of an assault, there may even be a way of getting your treatment through Compensation (perhaps talking to a No Win No Pay Solicitor may give you some thoughts re this)???

    ?Please talk to your GP, and even book for a Longer Consultation, as otherwise you will only be slotted in for 10 mins or so, and not have enough time to really talk/tell your GP the whole story and the after affects.  Am hoping to hear back re this, as it is very upsetting, and we would like to hear how you get on (but I do ask that you Push/Insist on getting that Ultrasound, for if no damage, then  it should be treatable with some anti-inflammortories to take the swelling down??)     Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.