Throat problems and twitching

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new to fibromyalgia and to this forum. I was diagnosed a couple of months ago and am finding it difficult to accept as I've always been healthy. I have some strange symptoms and would really like to know whether anyone else here experiences these. 

My throat feels swollen, think it is the muscles in my throat and neck - they feel tight/swollen on the inside and outside. My swallowing seems to be affected - I tend to choke on liquids and occasionally a small piece of food gets stuck and I have to swallow several times to release it. I'm quite worried about this - I suppose I'm wondering whether this is fibromyalgia or something else that hasn't been diagnosed?

I am also experiencing muscle twitching all over my body - jaw, hands, legs, throat, chest and stomach muscles. The twitches are mild and not painful but they bother me. 

I would really appreciate if others could share their experiences of symptoms like these. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear you're suffering.  I got diagnosed 18mths ago. I don't get the throat problems,  but I do get the twitches.  Also tinnitus,  as well as the usual aches pains and tiredness etc. I have found positive thinking helps. My symptoms are always worse on a down day. Its hard to talk to non sufferers about it as they can't understand how bad you can feel physically and mentally. Go back and talk to your Gp. Xx
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I agree that positive thinking helps, hard to always be positive when you are an emotional woman :-) For me, I find sleep is the biggest factor in how I feel. I am a little embarrassed about how often I have been to my GP this year. I told him about my throat problems and said it could be due to allergies - I don't agree as I've never suffered from allergies before.
  • Posted

hi a big yes to all these problems are linked to fibro , i have the swallowing problem i darent talk and eat at the same time ,often cough and and splutter on liquids .

but to be on the safe side check it with the doctor anything to do with diffitculty with swallowing should be checked he might be able to give you something for it or show how to deal with it.

it is scary iv woken many times in the night struggling to swallow silava .try doing a simple neck excersise to keep it loose ,turn head slowey to the left hold it dont strain , back to the middle bring chin down as far as you can with out hurting towards your chest then reapeat on the other side ,do as many as you can with out hurting and dont strain just as far as your neck will go .

• Posted

Reassuring to know that the throat problem could be a part of fibro. Thanks for the tip about the exercise, I'll try it - does it help you? It's quite scary.
    • Posted

yes but i am like most people i start it mean to do it every day but sometimes i am just so tired i can be bothered ,

by the time iv rubbed mag oil on my legs and feet

and rubbed in my oil on the top half of my body i just knackered [dont laugh]  please see your doctor to make sure , i v been coughing and chocking loads today cause iv had really bad nasil drip for a few days

thats what happens at night if i lie to flat often wake coughing really bad and retching  , i find if i get my head the right height and put a little sinus oil either side of my nose sometimes help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.