Throat soreness for 2 weeks. Might masses found in throat (pics. included)

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 24 year old male who has had a sore throat for just over 2 weeks. Around 2 weeks ago a colleague had strep throat but did not come back to work until 24 hours after taking antibiotics

Shortly after being in the general vicinity of this colleague, I started to have very minor pains in my neck / jaw bone region. I did not think much of it. 3 days after these pains, I started to feel really tired and weak, again I thought these symptoms would fade on their own. I can not confirm if I ever had a fever during this time. After about another 5 days of feeling weak, the formerly sick colleague, her husband, and I went on a long trip to the Everglades, and my weakness and tiredness faded fairly quickly and I appeared to regain full health, but still minor throat aches. 

After another few days my throat began to hurt a bit more but nothing drastic. I became concerned when 4 days after the everglades trip my girlfriend said I was snoring a lot, which is something she says I have never done in the past. I decided to look into my throat that evening with a flashlight. I observed white masses that looked like big Phlegm globs. I tried clearing my throat a lot, but no success. I eventually tried to gently scrape these globs and remove them, again no success. 

I began to drink tea with honey and lemon and gargle salt water, but my throat did not get better after 24 hours of this. I then went to an urgent care facility to get tested for strep. They ran a (+/-) test for strep and the flu, which both came back negative. The doctor then prescribes penicillin anyways. He recommends 5 days of penicillin pills once a day and 4 days slowing drinking a liquid penicillin solution and gargling with mouth wash.

I have not begun the penicillin treatment yet, because the pharmacy was closed last night, and I did not pick up my pills before work this morning. 

My throat hurts. It is difficult to swallow, but I can still drink and eat. Breathing is almost completely normal. The pain is stretches down the entire throat. I try and drink a lot of water (2 liters or more a day) to keep my throat moist and general health reasons.

Based off my story and my pictures, should I begin the antibiotic treatment or wait and get a throat culture? Do you suspect it to be strep of something else? Penicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Would the penicillin help or hinder my condition?

Thank you all for your help and time. 

Eliott

As a side note, the pictures are slightly blurry and because they are not direct shots, they do not give a good indication of the size of the white masses and how encompassing they are in my throat. If better pictures are needed I can try and supply them. 

Summary:

Throat hurts. It has been 2 weeks. White masses in throat. Docs immunological test came back negative for strep and flu. No cultures taken.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

White masses, not might... ugh
  • Posted

That looks pretty similar to my throat, I've had it for almost 5 weeks now along with flu-like symptoms too, did you have any of those?

I also tested negative for flu and strep, and also mono too. You might want to checked for that, they do that one via blood work. It could be glandular fever. (Not a doctor, medical advice etc.)

If it isn't mono, then you've probably got a virus like I seem to have. 

• Posted

I do not really think I have had fevers, and my temperature yesterday was marked at 98 degrees F. But the results returned by google images does appear similar to what my throat looks like. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.