Throat symptoms (new to GERD)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I began treatment for GERD a few weeks ago. First I was on PPIs but then I got switched to Prevacid (Lansoprazole) because it's apparently more effective and my symptoms were really bothering me.

The worst symptoms I have are excessive belching (and the tight feeling in my chest and throat only relieved by belching), and throat issues include the feeling of a lump or feeling of food stuck in my throat, feeling like my throat is dry, and a sore throat. The throat issues sometimes make me nauseous too.

I have tried my best to eliminate foods from my diet that are said to worsen GERD, but it's basically impossible. I have not cut out some of the foods that I use in all of my cooking, like garlic and onion. But I've definitely reduced my intake of them.

Otherwise, I'm a very healthy individual, not overweight, and I don't generally eat poorly. I also don't drink much or smoke at all. Why would my symptoms be so bad?

Does anyone have any advice as to how to treat the throat symptoms? They make it impossible to focus on anything while awake, and impossible to fall asleep (even when my upper body is raised). I've tried lozenges, gravol, hot tea, and honey. Swallowing liquids like water or tea is the only thing that has been helpful, but the feeling comes back right after I finish swallowing.

Also, when will the meds kick in? I've been on Prevacid for approx two weeks now. And my doctor only prescribed seven weeks.

Please help sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

So for my lump in throat I had for four months everyday I took everything and did everything and finally it stopped 90% when I cut out gluten and dairy. I do really well but then when I get cravings I think because it's been awhile that I'll be fine.. nope back to square one. Also anxiety levels are basically cut in half. Oh and yes cut down on acidics and take digestive enzymes to help with well.. digestion

• Posted

I would advise you to read a book called the acid diet, it explains everything that causes acid in whet we eat and our intolerance to certain foods etc. Their is a specific chapter in throat acid which may answer your questions. Hope you find this helpful
  • Posted

Prevacid IS a PPI.  They come in several names, but they basically all block the production of stomach acid.  I have used them in different forms for many years, and finally got scared and was put on rantinidine (Zantac) twice a day.  It works for me, as long as I don't eat garlic, onions, eat before bed, and a few other don'ts.  But, occasionally I still go back on my 10 mg of omeprazole when I start having nighttime reflux, which has been happening recently.  I want to try apple cider vinegar in water, but haven't begun yet.  It is a constant struggle, to feel good once these drugs enter your life, it seems.

• Posted

Oops sorry. They had me on Tecta (pantoprazole magnesium) before, now on Prevacid.

I can't imagine cutting out garlic and onions. I'm big into cooking and these are very important ingredients. I guess if it helps then it's worth it, but it's just unbelievable to me that those two little things could change so much.

• Posted

Hi Neofelis, 3 years ago I was put on PPI'S, I've been reading, Googling, depending on your age? I'm 67, fitness nut, vegaterian, only vice is a beer. Followed by food, all my life!!!!  There is a theory that as we get older, we don't produce enough acid, hence, we eat, the food sits in the stomach and ferments, giving acid reflux symptoms! Try the baking soda test, don't take any ant acids for 4,5 days, then first thing in the morning, glass of water, heaped teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, neck it back!!!!  And time how long it takes to belch????  3mins and under? To much acid, after 3mins? Not enough acid! I don't belch at all!!!!!  Then get digestive enzymes from the health shop and try that. I've stopped taking the PPI'S completely. 

• Posted

Hi Frederick,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm only turning 25 in June. I don't know why I have this problem but I guess I can't dwell on it.

I may finish the round of medication I've been prescribed and then try your method. Hopefully something works soon.

I wish there were something for quick relief of the throat symptoms. When it happens there doesn't seem to be any relief. I also don't understand why, if the meds are blocking acid production, then why would I have any symptoms at all?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.