Throat/tonsil swelling and lumps that haven’t gone away in several months

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi!

I'm not too sure if this is the correct forum for this to go in, but I couldn't really think or find anywhere else for it to go.

For the past year and a half or so, my tonsils and lymph nodes have been swollen. (Not terribly swollen, just enough that they don't look or feel normal). The pain will come and go every few months. After a few weeks of having throat pain, I'll go to my doctor, he'll say it's a virus, and once it doesn't go away after two or three more weeks I'll go on antibiotics and the pain will go away but my throat will stay the same size.

Because my “ infections ” are always viral, it's not possible for me to get my tonsils out any time soon. I'm not sure what to do and I'm tired with missing 2 weeks or of school every few months because the same issue keeps popping up again!

Thank you for reading this, if you have anything possibly helpful it would be really appreciated 😃

(I have before and after pictures of the last strain of antibiotics that I took, if they'll be helpful i can post them!!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi dude, It could be Mono caused by EBV virus, I had it when I was 17 and now I am 31 and still my lymph nodes are swollen, one of nodes is about 0.86 mm width. Mono is benign and the infection can take up to 6 months till the symptoms go away.

Also, CMV infection can cause the same Mono symptoms and also CMV is benign.

I would recommend u to take hsv1, CMV and EBV blood tests and make sure that even any of them became +ve, there is no harm.

Moreover, u can have a throat swab and covid 19 tests.

The throat swab will determine if u have bacterial infection and Dr. can put u on the right antibiotic. Bear in mind that infection can be resistant to ur current antibiotic, that is why u can't see any improvement.

please share pictures, we might get to understand more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.