Throbbing and burning sensations normal after double bunionectomy?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've just had double bunion surgery (3days post op) and I feel as though each day the pain, throbbing and burning sensations worsen. I'm trying to be realistic with the recovery time and I know that it's very early days, but I'm interested to hear if this is a normal factor initially? When I walk on my heels I feel like my feet want to explode...almost as though the wound is reopening. My bandages aren't to be changed until my appointment in 2 wks...so I'm uncertain how my feet are actually doing. My bandages are filled with blood and are very unsightly...knowing I'm keeping them on for 2 wks is a bit depressing. I've got help at home so I'm guessing the best thing to do is to stay off my feet as much as possible, keep them elevated and hope for better days to come! Thanks in advance for any advice and replies.

Xxx

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dee,

i just had a Bunionectomy (6 days post op). I had the throbbing and burning as well. It lessened on yesterday (day 5) and I have no throbbing or burning feeling today. I am down to 1 Vicodin 2 times a day now. Keep foot elevated and ICE as much as you can, it really helps. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Annie

That's great to hear the throbbing sensations etc have lessened so soon...looking forward to when it happens for me too 😊

Thanks for the reply and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Dee

The first few weeks are horrible with lots of pain..trobbing... burning ...blood on your wrapping....toes turning blue from bruising....etc. You have just had major surgery all to be expected. Make sure U are taking enough meds. Stay of your feet except for toilet visit. Second week you can perhaps be up walking 5 min in the hour. Try to move your legs every now and then when laying down to get blood supply happening. There is heaps of info on the net. Speak to the surgeon or his PA if concerned that is what they are there for.

I'm going into month 4...had both feet done...bunions...big toe reconstruction...spurs... arthritis removed. ...it's been tough but I'm the other side and 85% there...walked 9 km yesterday.

Eat well..protein ...vit C. Google best food for recovery after surgery.

This too will pass and u will be happy u did it.

Patience ??

• Posted

Hi Vibeke

That's really reassuring that you've made so much progress and are walking and getting back to normal! 9km is pretty awesome!

Thanks for the advice on keeping my legs moving. I'm cycling my legs and rotating my ankles all the time because my feet feel so numb...sometimes I get "dead" legs so I'm trying to alleviate this.

I know you're totally right in what you say and will try to engage patience in my recovery. My surgeon said 6 wks and I'll be feeling fine...but that feels unrealistic right now...will take each day as it comes and be grateful for any little improvement 😊

Thanks so much for the reply Vibeke Xxx

• Posted

Hi

I had the same thing. It was 5 weeks before the throbbing and burning stopped.  But if I kep my feet uo and iced they were not too bad. Keep your feet up above your hips.  Pleace ice packs on top.

Your healing will be quicker the more you can do this.

I am week 8 and they still butn but it is much better. 

• Posted

Hi Diana

Thank you x. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that what I'm feeling is normal and it seems that it is and it will get better.

I'll embrace putting my feet up and get the ice packs on them. My aftercare didn't advise ice but so many people do recommend it so I'm going to get on it.

Thanks ever so much for the reply Diana and I hope you continue to heal well Xxx

• Posted

I have an ice machine, and that was my saving grace. The first few weeks were horrible. But that ice machine was better for me than meds. I still use it occasionally after work when I’ve done too much. It straps around my foot any way I want it, with no wetness. My mom got it when she had shoulder surgery, and I’m keeping it!  :-) 

it’s so crazy what we aren’t told after surgery sometimes! Glad to have others to vent to and compare what works. 

• Posted

Hi Dona

Oooh an ice machine! Sounds so good... I'm not surprised you're keeping that to hand!

I know what you mean about the aftercare...I wasn't told much at all. The physio showed me how to get up and down stairs on the crutches but that was about it. Once the anaesthetic started to wear off completely I wasn't prepared for all the sensations and emotions I'd feel. Walking for me was a total nightmare to the point where I came over all faint and only just managed to get my crutches off before I collapsed. I haven't attempted much walking since and I'm a little disheartened that there wasn't more guidance for when you get home. It's been a complete learning curve for me and I'm so grateful to read about the experiences of others!

Xxx

• Posted

You will get there Dee! We have all been there, and the emotional feelings combined with the pain can be a total cluster at times. Remember the big picture and the shoes you will be able to wear, and no pain! It’s coming :-) 

i can’t do crutches  I’d injure my entire body for sure. I’m glad they invented the scooter. And it has a drink holder, lol. And a bag for snacks (and work) that I can grab at. A few Times I would get overwhelmed and tired and I would just pop a squat on my scooter, take a drink, have a snack and regroup :-)

• Posted

Patience.... it's all normal and very early still. Rest up...and this too will be a distant memory. If your gut tells you something is not right then call your surgeons room...speak to him/her or their PA for reassurance 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.