Through the plateau - and the question is...?????

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was beginning to seriously think my husband had made a mistake when he'd told me I'd got to 133 on the bend quite a few days ago because it seemed to drop to 128 and then gradually up to 130 again but for a couple of days or so I couldn't push it more than that.  Then last night found I could!  It's the same method - sit as far back in one corner of the recliner chair, with raised bottom, bring foot up so bend is as tight as possible and foot is against base of arm of chair and then lower bottom into chair - it just gives a bit extra push to it.  It's a bit uncomfortable, but I sit like that for five or 10 minutes, then stretch leg out for about 10 or 20 minutes and then repeat.  I do this every evening between 9 and 11 pm.  I broke through the plateau!  I got to 135 (and he did check it twice LOL!) last night.  At 7 and a half weeks, I'm very happy with this and think I might be on course for reaching 140 in a few weeks, but in the meantime, if it doesn't bend more, and I only keep this, then I'm good!  What my physio didn't really tell me, is if I need to keep doing this or will it go backwards again?  And just how long do you need to keep doing it?  Weeks?  Months?

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

'I know we are all different. . .I suppose I got to about 134 about a year ago.  since then, occasionally I check to see if it has improved/got worse, and it's always the same.  i just behave as before I had a bad knee, without exercising it specifically, and nothing drastic happens. i don't think I would want to face the rest of my life doing all the exercises faithfully every day . . and I really don't think it is necessary. But as I say, we are all different. . . so I won't swear to anything!  Just my experience. 

• Posted

That's really encouraging Martinavelo:-)))  I think the odd bend a few times a week (once I've got to 140 maybe or maybe 145 LOL!) sounds simple enough:-))))  Hopefully before long I'll be bending the other one too, after the second op and then they can compete with each other LOL!

• Posted

Yes, just occasionally I push it as far as I can, and I still get a really nasty pain at one point on the inside of the knee . . the pain was always there and although it's nowhere near as bad, when I really push it I can feel a nasty sharp twinge, so I don't go any further than the 135 . . .don't want to break anything!

• Posted

Yes, I know what you mean - I'm a bit worried from time to time feeling as though I'm forcing it.  I don't get pain, as such, but it does feel as though it's not just pushng through tightness, but more than that.  I don't know - I can't explain it LOL!

• Posted

120 is minimum...anything over that is a gift.  My PT said that athletes are usually in the 140 range.  At 133 now, I hope to get there too but it will be a struggle.  If you can kneel down and then have your butt touch your heels, that's 161.  I don't ever see that happening for me...

• Posted

Omg kneeling just feels so odd! I tried it but frightened I'll do some damage. Has anyone else tried kneeling at 12 weeks post op?

• Posted

About kneeling...  Almost all of it is IN YOUR HEAD!!!  The knee is METAL...there is no pain!  However, early on, you will be feeling the incision, nerve regeneration, etc.  Inside your knee...nothing.  Metal and plastic have no feeling.

That being said, you take it slow.  Kneel on a pillow...not concrete.  Out in the garden, use a soft pad that they sell at Home Depot, etc.  Cushion it.  Just remember, any pain is in the skin or surrounding weak muscles, not the knee itself because you just don't have a real one anymore!!!

• Posted

I think you've hit the nail on the head ... it feels funny because there is no feeling. It's a very odd sensation ... only tried kneeling on the bed but just doesn't feel normal, but then again it isn't a normal knee any more so will get some getting used to 😏

• Posted

My doc said to me: "What do you expect?  You have a giant mechanical device implanted in your leg!  There is no 'normal'..."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.