Throwing up after azithromycin?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i’m currently 13 weeks pregnant and my doctor prescribed me 4 tablets of azithromycin to take as a one time dose to treat ureaplasma, then an hour later or so I ended up puking from something I ate

so I was wondering how long does it take for azithromycin to be absorbed by the body because I don’t want to have to take this antibiotic all over again since i’m pregnant? am I going to be fine? I really hope that the medicine has been absorbed by that time already.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm afraid you're going to have to go back and see your doctor about this. I had a look around online for some information about this medication and found the following:

If you vomit within three hours of taking azithromycin tablets they may not be effective at clearing up the infection. You should consult your GP or sexual health clinic for advice.

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/infection/a7911/zithromax-azithromycin

So, yeah. It's really important to treat the underlying illness that you have been taking azithromycin for, wehn you're pregnant. You NEED to make sure that you get your treatment program back on track as soon as possible. Here is some more information about azithromycin, if you're interested, along with the links to sources where I found it all:

After oral intake, azithromycin is rapidly absorbed, about 40% bioavailable and widely distributed. Peak plasma concentrations occur two to three hours after an oral dose and 1 to 2 hours after intravenous dosage. Concentrations are higher in tissues than in blood.

http://www.antibiotics-info.org/azithromycin.html

The highest approved single oral dose of an azithromycin IR formulation is 2.0 g for the treatment of gonococcal urethritis (Zithromax package insert). The most common adverse events (AEs) of azithromycin are gastrointestinal (GI) in nature and appear to be dose related. The actual use of the 2.0-g dose is limited due to the high incidence of GI AEs such as nausea (18%), diarrhea/loose stools (14%), and vomiting (7%) (Zithromax package insert). It has been suggested that the GI AEs (i.e., nausea and vomiting) are primarily local in origin and occur shortly after oral dosing of azithromycin, possibly due to the drug's action on the motilin receptors in the upper GI tract, as with other macrolides.

[https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1797671]

The most frequent adverse effects of azithromycin involve the GI tract (i.e., diarrhea/loose stools, nausea, abdominal pain). While these adverse effects generally are mild to moderate in severity and occur less frequently than with oral erythromycin, adverse GI effects are the most frequent reason for discontinuing azithromycin therapy. Administration of conventional azithromycin tablets or oral suspension with food may improve GI tolerability.

[American Society of Health-System Pharmacists 2012; Drug Information 2012. Bethesda, MD. 2012, p. 234] PEER REVIEWED

*So yeah, vomiting is very common with this medication. It can be allayed somewhat by taking it with food and if when you speak to your doctor he will probably tell you to do this going forward with your next dose. You should always read the information provided on leaflets included with your prescription as they will tell you the best way to take them, in order to get the best possible effects, with the fewest negative side effects.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Bex*

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.