Thrush, eczema, dermatitis?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, 

I've recently developed itching and redness around the scrotum and anus. 

Originally I had an itch/burn in the pubic area and anus area, there were no signs of redness, I proceeded to use canestan (clotrizamole) on the genital area to see if that would get rid of the problem, i tried it for a 2 weeks but it seemed to enhance the problem, my scrotum developed a red, shiny, leathery look and the whole area seemed to itch and burn worse. I stopped using the cream due to this, the problem seemed to get better after a few weeks of Epsom salt baths, reduced sugar intake. 

The itch never went away however and so I tried coconut oil as I've read this was a good choice for moisturising, as well as any fungal or yeast infections, however after a couple of days using this again the scrotum got really red, itching and burning seeming to worsen the symptoms. 

I am now trying dermol 500 cream which is used for eczema/dermatitis. 

This has been going on for around 3 months now. 

Clotrizamole and coconut oil seem to have worsened the problem, the coconut oil did remove itching but caused redness and burning. Could I have damaged my skin using thsese products? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I take it, you have been diagnosed for eczema. I guess you don't have a fungus problem because the Clotrizamole should have taken care of that.   Hydrocortisone cream would probably be a better choice for that area, but if your condition hasn't improved after three months, you should see a doctor. Also, be careful what you use in that area.

• Posted

I haven't been diagnosed with eczema and have never had any issues, this came out of nowhere which is what I'm finding strange. 

I am guessing as you say that it isn't fungus as the clotrizamole should have rid of that but it still persists. 

The doctors really have no idea which is frustrating, it's just strange that the skin seems to react to clotrizamole and coconut oil, especially the latter which from what I've read is meant to be good for skin. 

• Posted

No it's not strange, you just might be allergic to those things. Have you seen a dermatologist or allergist yet?  Since it came out of nowhere, you may have developed an allergy for the clothes you wear or maybe it's the detergent you use for washing. 

• Posted

I haven't seen a dermatologist or allergist yet as my doctor hasn't referred me (I'm in the UK) but intend to ask to see one at my next appointment. The usual questions of have you changed washing powder etc where asked but nothing has changed, I believe the itch in the pubic area may have started due to stress, I overreacted then using the clotrizamole thinking it was a fungal infection which seems to have damaged or flared up the skin on the scrotum and anal area and it won't seem to stop as I say my scrotum is red shiny looking which wasn't there during the orignal itch 

• Posted

I can definitely understand why you were thinking it was a fungus infection and it might be a fungus infection. Fungal infections tends to spread to your legs and sometimes to your bottom. And yes, stress can cause rashes. You might want to wear loose fitting cotton underwear or no underwear, don’t wash with soap, and keep that area dry. You could take Benadryl for the itching.
    • Posted

Thanks for your help. 

I did read that fungal infections rarely affect the scrotum, plus would you expect it to be elsewhere like groins if scrotum was affected because I've had no itching, rash or issues there. Is there anyway of testing for a fungal infection? I'll take your advice and hope it gets better. Thanks again 

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, a doctor could test for a fungus infection. 

I had a battle with fungal infections. Mine had spread to leg, scrotum and anus. My doctor gave me Ketoconazole cream that did the trick after about a two weeks. He told me to stop wearing underwear and keep the area dry by using zeasorb antifungal  powder for jock Itch. After that battle I developed a skin condition that required a different method of treatment. I really hope yours will go away with a simple treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.