Thrush, Infection, Dry Mouth Symptoms. Please share thoughts. [Images]

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello Community,

I have experienced some strange issues and would like some insight. I saw my GP and he acknowledged the dry mouth symptoms. He indicated that I should try sour candy / drinks and a warm compress to get saliva glands flowing. It has not worked.

What do you think this is and I should do as a next step? Is this an infection, thrush or something else?

[u]Symptoms:[/u]

1. Whitish coated tongue, especially when waking up the morning. Dry mouth feeling.

2. Coating seems to scrape off, but reappears.

3. A more visible coating is on the back of the tongue (image attached).

2. Thinker, bubbly saliva in the mouth.

3. Loss of taste at times, in the past it has been difficult to eat due to lack of saliva (seems to have somewhat resolved).

4. I noticed small bumps on floor of mouth, not sure if related or these are blocked saliva glands or related. Dr. did not seemed concerned. (image attached).

I brush, floss, and use mouthwash regularly. I don't believe this is a hygiene issue.  I am not on antibiotics; however, I was provided a nasal spray for congestion. These symptoms started before using the nasal spray. I do have some anxiety and am not sure if it is related as I have read that stress can cause dry mouth.

Your input is appreciated and welcome. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Image of white tongue in morning... poor image quality. sorry...
    • Posted

How are you now ? I hope you will fine and healthy .pls could you share findings with me I am facing same issue from last year.same white tongue and sore throat

• Posted

The white is normal. most people have that.

Is the dry mouth all day long? Or is it worse in the mornings?

Do you have dry eyes as well?

Are you taking any medications?

• Posted

The dry mouth seems to be the worst in the morning. My tongue is noticeably white and I have cotton mouth. The symptoms do come and go throughout the day but I try to chew sugar free gum and drink plenty of fluids to offset it. The sour candy suggestion was not working.

Yes, I have noticed recently they my eyes seem to be dry towards the end of the day. My contacts irritate my eyes so I toss them earlier than I would have before this started. I don't think it is medicine related.

Re: Medication - A doctor prescribed me Atrovent nasal spray for congestion, but the condition was present before I started using the nasal spray.

• Posted

Atrovent is a muscarinic antagonist. Those are renowned for causing dry mouth.

If its worse in the morning - its possible that you’re mouth breathing at night.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Ben. I may stop taking the Atrovent to see if there is any change. Candidly, I am not sure about mouth breathing and I have read that this can cause dry mouth. If I am mouth breathing, I'm not sure how to change this (maybe try a chin strap). But, as noted, the symptoms do seem to come and go throughout the day, to a lesser extent. Good point however.

What is perplexing to me is 1. what would bring on this condition all of a sudden (as my sleep habits have not changed) and 2. it appears that the saliva glands (in the 2nd pic) may have some inflammation (assuming the smaller bumps are saliva glands).

What tests / exams that I should consider to rule bacterial / viral infection out? Primary GC seemed clueless and asked me to reschedule appointment if symptoms persist.  

• Posted

Sialadenitis would cause pain.

If you are seriously concerned about this - you could have your ANA measured to rule out Sjogrens Syndrome.

• Posted

Follow-up: I quit the nasal spray and started a salt water rinse in the morning. Both of these relieved a lot of the dry mouth symptoms as well as the white coating on the tongue.
  • Posted

Hi, has your tongue cleared up? Do you have any issues with the corners of your mouth?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.