Thrush or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Background: I was on very strong antibiotics for 10 days 3 weeks ago for a chest infection and never took a probiotic. I also had unprotected sex approximately 4 weeks ago.

During the course of antibiotics I had vaginal itching, no discharge no sores, just redness (mostly from scratching/irritation) and very slight discomfort when urinating. I took 1x oral pill for the treatment of vaginal thrush (self diagnosed) - the symptoms cleared within 72 hours. 

Yesterday, 2 weeks after taking the oral pill, i have the same itching, still no discharge and nothing else abnormal, just itching and slight discomfort. I went back to the chemist and have got a 3 day clotriminazole cream which is applied internally w/ applicator. 2 hours later the symptoms have already subsided.

HOWEVER I am concerned because of the relatively quick recurrence and lack of discharge that it may not be thrush and could be something else. I have googled STDs and I have no other symptoms but itching. 

HELP ! Any information appreciated!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like thrush. Sometimes, if the thrush hasn't cleared up fully with the first bout of medication it can recur. I find that 150mg fluconazole oral tablet followed by another one 3 days later usually dies the trick. If the thrush keeps recurring you may need to take a longer course: 50mg every day for 2 weeks.

However, I would seriously consider getting yourself tested. If it is an STD then you need to start treatment asap.

Did you have sexnwith the same person again? It is possible that you could have given him thrush and sometimes men don't show any symptoms but they can pass the thrush back to the woman.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!

I am booked in, but with the recent flu outbreak here Drs appointments are hard to come by, so will see Dr in 2 weeks.

Im sure it is thrush as I have read that menstruation can stop symptoms and then they can come back again once your cycle is finished, and seeing as I had my period inbetween initial treatment and now, it could be that the first oral tablet wasnt effective.. so i will see if this clears it up!

Also no, we didn’t have sex again and havent slept with anybody since smile 

• Posted

At the risk of sounding like a mum - hopefully this scare has taught you to use protection in future. Not all STDs are treatable. For example, if you get genital herpes you will have it for life.
    • Posted

Oh definitely.. i did know the person we had been together for many years, its just a bit complicated at the moment.. no excuse though, I still should have used protection because potentially has slept with someone else.. lesson learnt smile
  • Posted

Yes, lesson learnt and hopefully no harm done. 
  • Posted

It is yeast infection due to antibiotics use, take garlic , vit c,coconut oil supplements or if you are able to buy solaray yeast cleanse take it, yeast infection always comes back just after menstruation bcos the PH level is disrupted by the menstruation and also bcos eostrogen levels are higher after menstruation, stay away from bread and sugar for now until you are clear, drink lots of water 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.