Thrush/pessary advice please

Posted , 2 users are following.

At 12 weeks post a/problem repair I now have thrush. My gp originally prescribed 1 pessary and canesten cream, went back to her the following week as symptoms still present. She has now given me a course of 6 pessaries. At the time she didn't say whether I should continue with the cream or not so decided I would., wished I hadn't, the burning feeling was awful so I took another shower and waited for it to settle. The discharge has been worse but different, I think it's the pessary dissolving and little bits that haven't dissolved, it's constant. Tonight I've just been to clean myself up for the umpteenth time today and when I wiped myself there was a small amount of fresh blood.it states on the leaflat that this could happen and to tell my gp/pharmacist straight awayou, which I can't do. Anyone of you knowledgeable ladies have any advice. Xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Speak to your GP tomorrow carolyn because it could be that you don't have thrush and need another type of treatment ideally after a swab has been taken to establish what the infection is.

• Posted

Thanks matron, do you think I should refrain from using a pessary tonight
    • Posted

I think I would because it's obviously not helping and if your GP does want you to continue missing a dose won't do any harm. I have read that on rare occasions some women have a reaction to thrush treatment, not that I'm saying you have. I'm wondering if you have another type of infection. It sounds as though you're having to wash or wipe all the time which is a pain. If your GP thinks it is thrush there is a tablet that you can take orally that's more pleasant.

• Posted

Think I'll do that, migot send a quick email to my consultant too, see what he can offer. Thank you.for your continued support

• Posted

I think that's an excellent idea. He's the expert. Let me know how you get on because I'd be interested to hear what he has to say (just helps me when I'm doing my post op information sheet) if you don't mind of course. You've no idea just how helpful you ladies have been x

• Posted

Hi matron, gp rang me today, thinks it's still thrush because of the symptoms I've had, said to continue with the pessaries and not to worry about the blood as I've had a hysterectomy and to go back if not better . Not heard back from consultant yet.

• Posted

Well that's good news that it's nothing more serious and as you know thrush can make you bleed. Hopefully it will clear up soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.