THS is normal; doctor won't do any further testing

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is my first time posting in a forum but I'm so frustrated, I don't know what else to do. I have been feeling really off, physically, lately. I went to my PCP cause of a headache that has been consistent for the past 3 weeks but I had other health concerns too. After stating the headache was a migraine period, she order some blood tests. I hadn't had any done in 2 years. She mention tests for diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and thyroid. While waiting for the results, I did some online research and realized 95% of my symptoms suggested hypothyroidism. I took quiz after quiz and several symptom checkers and they all pointed to the same thing. My tests came back and I was told all looked normal and that was it. I was slightly shocked; she didn't even request I come back in for a follow-up to see if I was feeling any better. I obtained a copy of lab results and immediately saw on them my cholesterol numbers were high; they were through the roof. Nothing was mentioned about them. Then noticed the only thyroid test done was TSH. I asked if some others should be done but she said there was no need my TSH was within the normal range. It was 0.854. The results didn't warrant any further investigation. Period. After reading that TSH testing isn't the only testing for hypothyroidism and cases can be missed, I feel some depressed and confused. Does anyone have any advice or should I just accept feeling crappy for the rest of my life.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Tsh testing IS the only test to diagnose hypothyroidism.   T4 and T3 can be done to help see how far the thyroid is damaged, not to diagnose.  Your TSH level looks amazing.  I know this isn't what you want to hear and I'm sorry about that.  Also, there are many, many other conditions that can cause the same symptoms as hypothyroidism.  I would start with getting your Vitamin D levels checked.  This is very common now a days and causes all the same symptoms.  Also, being you have headaches, perhaps ask your doctor for a hormone panel. 

• Posted

Thank you for taking time to reply and address my concerns. I appreciate the advice, tremendously. I am continue doing to do some research and considering changing doctors. She didn't even address the high cholesterol. Wouldn't you think that, at least, should have been mentioned? 

• Posted

Yes.. changing doctors sounds like a good next step.  It sounds as though she didn't practice good communication with you.  She should have at least told you about it.  Also.. remeber that you pay them, not the other way around, so if she will not do more testing to find out what's wrong with you, then find someone who will.

• Posted

Oh.. I forgot to mention.. if the TSH is normal, the T4 and T3 will be normal too, so that's why there is just no reason to test them...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.