Thumb Arthritis surgery!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 43 yrs old. Very active. Female. I suffer daily with basal thumb arthritis. Surgeon wants to do a trapezecetomy (sp?). I have watched you tubes on this procedure and the recovery looks horrific. My biggest concern is not the pain after but the length of recovery. Does anyone have thoughts or experiences from this procedure????

The pain is so very debilitating I almost have no choice but to do this surgery. I just want to make sure I am getting as much information as I can before I commit.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have had finger joint replacement surgery and the pain afterwards is not good if they don't get your pain relief correct. Second time I told the anaesthetist and no pain this time.

My view is a few days of pain is worth it as I have been pain free in one of my fingers now for over 4 yrs, that is priceless!! Remember the saying no pain,no gain

• Posted

Have you had any type of injections in the area?
    • Posted

Yes. Several Injections over the last 2 years. It helps temporarily but side affects are a battle with it. Omg. I feel like I'm 80 writing this. I'm 43 and have suffered with this for 4 years now.

• Posted

Hi Bridgette,

I too have this problem. I had the left hand fused succesfully but the right did not do as well. A second operation was performed to remove the plate due to pain after three months. This has not worked either and I am booked in for trepezium removal in two weeks. I have developed tendonitis in my elbow  after the last surgery making use of my hand and arm difficult. I will be happy to post my experience after the surgery if it helps youn decide. I am hoping three times lucky. It is my last resort...good luck!

• Posted

I would advise you to get another opinion, I will be 3 weeks post surgery tomorrow, had a CMC thumb joint replacement which I would highly recommend  over a trapeziectomy as you are still young and will need use of your hands for some years yet!!! I was advised that the trapeziectomy could cause further issues as often the surgeon doesn't fill the space and that would possibly cause further issues over time. Like you I tried steroid injections which made no difference and the pain was impacting on my daily life massively as I had bone on bone grinding thanks to osteoarthritis. Also like you I was horrified by the you tube videos but I think the trouble with them is that it's a worst case scenario and you don't see the massive number of succesful operations. I have been trying to document my recovery for personal use but if you have any questions would be happy to answer them. They say this is a more common condition for women and I am really glad the original surgeon I saw had issues with his paperwork or I would have had the trapeziectomy a year ago.............so far the extra wait has been worth it and I look forward to a successful outcome. Good luck with whatever you decide to do smile

• Posted

I am having a trapezectomy tomorrow. My friend has had both her hands done with this procedure and she is doing very well. She has no pain after her initial post op procedure and is using her hands as normal. She crochets constantly and is very happy with the end result. Based on her results I am going ahead with the procedure. I will let you know how I am doing. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.