Thumb basal joint both hands. Which surgery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 59 years old and been an auto mechanic for 40 years. My basal joints are both worn out (bone to bone, spurs) to the point I couldn't work any longer even with the injections, topical, OTC and prescription anti-inflammatories.

First surgeon said do the fusion surgery and go back to work. But I realized that would stop the pain, but handicap the movement of my hand. As a technician in a dealership working on straight commission, and almost 60 years old, this does not seem like a bright future.

A second surgeon said find a new career and go with the other procedure removing the small bone and replacing it with a tendon from the wrist. This would maintain full motion of my hands, but cannot withstand any kind of a heavy workload.

I was hoping to get some feedback from folks who have done either procedure. Is the loss of motion not so bad after the fusion? Or can the replacement surgery handle a pretty good workload? Information like that would be a great help with my decision on which way to go.

Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Try another forum as Patient is apparently nearly defunct. I don't know if you'll get more answers fro HealthUnlocked. They have many different communities, including at least one possibly more than one for osteoarthritis.

• Posted

hiya,

I was similar with the bone on bone, spurs etc, medication not working anymore. My surgeon offered me the choice of a trapeziectomy or having a new thumb joint implant (MAIA CMCJ Replacement). It's very similar to the hip replacement implant but much smaller.

I had my left thumb done 3 years which has been brilliant and had my right thumb done just before Christmas. Covid got in the way of having it done sooner.

Recovery takes a while but I believe it takes time with any procedure on the thumb. I didn't have any issues with the left hand but am struggling with the right. Swelling doesn't seem to be going down and it's stopping me from doing the physio exercises which is why I'm on here today.

You might get a bit more information on one of the other discussions, Caringbah, I'm weighing up whether to have surgery (it's called something like that). It's under Osteoarthritis.

Not sure if this is helpful at all or just adding to your headache. Good luck with whatever you decide 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.