Thumb Joint Artificial Replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I would love to hear from anyone who has had a thumb joint replaced. I've hopefully attached a picture of the same replacement I had done a couple of years ago. It's like a mini hip joint.

Many thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Was that for thumb based arthritis?

• Posted

It looks great; how does it feel? How is it for gripping?

A wrist replacement would make my life more comfortable though the splints help as long as I remember to put them on.

• Posted

Hi there

Yes, I have arthritis in the thumb base joint of both hands. I didn't go for the usual trapezium removal, had the implant above instead.

I'm trying to find someone else who has had it done to see how they're getting on.

• Posted

Hi there,

It looks great but I'm not convinced it was the best option. Everyone seems to go for the removal of the trapezium bone in the thumb base joint but the consultant recommended the replacement because of my age. He said it would last longer and I'd have better results. Better grip and strength. So far I'm not convinced. I've got to have the other thumb done this year and I'm not sure if I want to go ahead with another replacement. Desperately trying to find someone else who has had it done to see how they're getting on.

Hopefully Betty this is a one off. Good luck with whatever you have done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.