Thumb joint replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have had moderate pain in my thumb for a few years but now the pain is horrible and seems to affect my entire hand and at times will radiate up the arm sometimes all the way to the shoulder.  Saw a hand surgeon and he is recommending surgery to replace the joint in my thumb.  Has anyone had this done and if so how long does it take to recover?  I am self employed as a typist in the medical field, so really need to get back to work as soon as possible.  

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have had my finger joints replaced and now pain free.

for a finger I had 2 weeks off work but it was 4 weeks before I could drive. Lot s of physio which is very important to get the joint moving.

go for it, you will love being pain free 

• Posted

Thank you for your feed back.  I have been afraid to go through with it, for fear I'd be unable to use my hand for months.  Your comment is very encouraging!  

• Posted

Once the cast comes off about 10 days you only have about 6 weeks to get the joint moving which is why the physio is important just don't overdo it but they will

Explain all that to you

• Posted

hi Linda, I had a replacement about 3 years ago, I was in plaster for about 4 weeks and then graduated to a quite big and very rigid support for about 6 weeks, then went to a very flexible support, which quite honestly. I don't think I ever wore!   It wasn't all in all too bad, just a bit frustrating, but the benefits totally outweighed the issues of the operation.   Was the best thing I ever did, enabled me to use my hand normally and painfree, the scaring is almost invisible and I would do it again in a heartbeat, dont be concerned, its well worth it.....by the way I was 61/2 when I had it done, good luck! 

• Posted

Thank you Sarne.  I'm 66 - still got a few years left in me (I hope) and would sure love to do things (even washing the dishes) pain free!  Thus far I haven't heard anything negative about the procedure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.