Thumb pain...looking for some suggestions

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have arthritis in both thumbs and the arthritis is in the joint that is the closest one to the palm of my hand. I was even scheduled to have an injection in my right thumb because that one was really hurting me pretty bad but I had a fall and did some major damage to myself and I of course had to cancel the injection and will not be able to get the injection for quite a while because I am on blood thinners and they won't do the injection while I'm on blood thinners

So here's what happened... Getting out of my car and my left foot slipped on the gravel of the driveway and I fell. I broke my left ankle in 3 places and am now the lucky recipient of a plate and a few screws. And I sprained my right ankle. So both feet are in boots. I see the doctor on May 7th and I assume he will tell me I can take off the boot and use that leg. Right now I'm not allowed to put any weight on it at all. In total I will have been in this situation for 14 weeks and I'm about halfway through now.

Okay so here's why my left thumb is in horrible pain and my right thumb hurts pretty bad too. I have also been wearing thumb guards regardless of whether it's hurting or better, but it has not helped relieve the pain nor keep me from getting worse. I believe it's this bad because I have to rely on my hands a lot when I transfer from my bed to my scooter or scooter to the commode or if I leave I have to transfer to a wheelchair. I have boots on both feet but I am able to use my right foot, the one that was sprained as it has gotten almost all better.

So does anyone here have any ideas on how I can relieve the pain or ideas on how to transfer differently so that I don't rely on my hands so much. Or even a different position for my hand to be in when I use it to push myself over to the other thing.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear amkoffee

I truly mean this when I tell you how sorry I am for your accident.

I can tell you’re a caring individual. Sometimes when things keep happening to me I can’t help but say, WHY?...

That doesn’t help...I just have to keep trying!

Thanks for all your comments!

Because I care,

Prodigious 

• Posted

Oh I am so sorry.  You really didn't need this extra problem, did you?  If you've been checked and it's not a bone injury, it's possible that some support for the wrist will help.  I got repetitive stress pain in my right thumb when I worked in the library and was helped by wearing a small elastic support which went around my wrist and the base of the thumb. I would wear it at work, and also got a few exercises from the physiotherapist to strengthen the muscles, the muscles of the wrist, but you probably aren't ready for that yet if there's tissue healing to be done.  All the best.

• Posted

Anhaga you are so wise and so full of good information. I have owned thumb braces for quite a while well over a year. I had a really nice one that gave me a good support and an older model that really gave no support for the wrist just the thumb. But today I received two new thumb braces from Amazon that I purchased recently. I'm really hoping this helps the problem. My problem did not start since I broke my foot it's just that it's being aggravated with me using them too much. I've also been putting ice on them too. I had my right hand tested for carpal tunnel and I do not have that. So my rheumatologist says it is most likely arthritis. And I'm already taking arthritis medicine. I'm trying to put my hand down differently when I go to use it to push off of the bed, for example.

I hope you have a pleasant day.

• Posted

I had a little conversation with my physiotherapist the other day as we discussed my misbehaving shoulders.  She says when we get pain often what is happening is the joint isn't moving properly, the bones aren't lined up quite right.  Because one set of muscles is a bit stronger than the opposing ones it causes this issue or adds to it.  So when she gave me exercises for my shoulders it was to help correct the imbalance.  I have to say it is getting better, but she also did some deep massage nearly a week ago, as well as a session with low intensity light therapy.  Your attempt to use the affected hand differently is probably a good idea.

I wonder if you could apply a little self massage to your painful areas?  I have arthritis in my hands and I find the finger joints feel a lot better if I massage them.  I take one hand and between my thumb and forefinger I apply a rotating motion to each finger joint on the other hand, going a few times, maybe three or so. in each direction.  I think what happens is the synovial fluid is released and this helps lubricate the joints.  Something like that, anyway.  I don't know if there's an area around or on your thumb where such a technique might help.  Obviously it doesn't improve the muscles but it does seem to help with discomfort in the joints themselves.  If you find a way to make your thumb feel better I'd be most interested to hear about it.  

• Posted

If you review what you wrote you'll see the conflict I have with massaging my thumbs. It is way too painful to use either of my thumbs in a massaging way. And I don't have the strength because of the pain in the thumbs. And it's in both hands. The times I have tried massaging I use the knuckle of my index finger on my other hand. I also use a cream called Voltaren gel. I massage that into my thumbs and my wrist or wherever the pain is. It's for arthritis pain and it does help some.

I really appreciate all your suggestions and your caring attitude. I hope your shoulders get better soon.

• Posted

Oh, right.  Stupid of me.  Sorry.  

My shoulder is much better since last physio visit, thank you.  She really does have a healing touch..  

• Posted

I used to have a fabulous therapist but he stopped taking insurance. And if you have Medicare like I do, it's the doctor's office that has to file with them, the patient cannot. So therefore I couldn't just pay him cash and then file it myself like I could if I had private insurance. I saw him for a complete year. I saw him for my lower back pain. At the time I saw him I was unable to walk more than just around my house. And at the end of the year and doing everything he said, I went on a 5K walk and made it. I came in last but I did it.

• Posted

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUTSTANDING 🌟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.