Thumping sound in ear

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all, 

I have been experiencing a thumping noice in my left ear for the last couple of days which seems to be in rythm to my footsteps/running and happens occasionally I also have started experinceing wooshing sounds in my left ear when I am in bed which sometimes disturbes my sleep. I do experience mild tinitus. Does anyone know what this could be and if so how long this could last.  

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm not a professional but I suffer from Menieres disease, I'm 25 and have been experiencing symptoms on and off since I was 17. Sounds like the type of tinnitus which I experience, all sorts of strange sounds can be heard, thumping, clicking, whooshing, almost like white noise sometimes it can be horrible and so distracting best thing to do is have tv or something on in the background in bed to help you get to sleep. It could just be the worsening of tinnitus, however. When I found out what it was however it made it so much easier to sleep as before I was worried about what it could be! Could also just be congestion, try antihistamines or decongestants. If you experience any other symptoms like vertigo dizziness or nausea it could be slightly more serious or long term like menieres or labrinthitis (if experienced more than once)and you should ask ur GP for a referral to ENT.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Il go to my GP to see if i can get a referral. Im not experiencing any vertigo or dizziness so hopefully its not long term.

Once again thanks for your help. smile

• Posted

Yes, there is a good chance that you are actually hearing your foot steps and heartbeat as part of a symptom called Autophony. A couple of questions for you. In a quiet room can you hear anything when you move your eyes back and forth? Is the sound of your own voice louder in your ear? People that can here their footsteps may have a condition called superior Canal Dehiscence ( unfortunately I have this) I'll try to provide more info after work. Do you have any other symptoms?

• Posted

Thanks for replying, When i am in a quite room all i can hear is mild tinitus unless I have a whoosing sound which happens ocasionally moving my eyes doesn't change anything. My voice isn't louder in my left ear than in my right.I don't really have anyother symptoms except for the bumping generally happens after I do any sports.

Thank you for your reply its very heplfull smile 

• Posted

Yes, there is a good chance that you are actually hearing your foot steps and heartbeat as part of a symptom called Autophony. A couple of questions for you. In a quiet room can you hear anything when you move your eyes back and forth? Is the sound of your own voice louder in your ear? People that can here their footsteps may have a condition called superior Canal Dehiscence ( unfortunately I have this) I'll try to provide more info after work. Do you have any other symptoms?

• Posted

It's very possible that you have impacted wax in that ear.  Start with the simplest approach (if you hear hoofbeats, don't look for zebras lol).  DON'T LET ANYONE IRRIGATE YOUR EAR!  If you are able, go to a ENT who can use an otoscope to look into that ear, or your famly Dr. might be able to also. There are simple eardrops (called Debrox) you can use but I wouldn't do that without first seeing a Dr.  Don't worry.

• Posted

Thanks for replying I will go to my GP and ask for a ENT referral and see if he can check the wax in my ear I will have a look for the wax drops if the GP can see a problem.

Thanks smile 

• Posted

Hi, see your GP. You could have a piece of wax which is moving when you walk. If the wax builds up enough it can effect your hearing, causing you to hear wooshing tinnitus. Once your ear is washed out, you should be back to normal. There are other things that can cause this but wax would be my first guess. If this isn't the problem, write back and I will tell you where to go from there. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.