Thunderclap Headache

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi there, new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice or anyone with similar experience.

My mum is 59 years old and last Friday she had a lumpectomy for breast cancer in her left side. The surgery went well and are awaiting results in the post op next week.

Today, she had an upset stomach all morning. When she came back downstairs on the last occasion, she looked grey and said her head was so painful, it was throbbing. My mum has a very high pain thresholds and never complains. It got so bad that we called an ambulance as she also started getting palpitations (she also has high blood pressure for which she is taking medication daily). Because the pain started from the back of her head and went up to the top, radiating all over, they suspected a bleed on the brain.

At the hospital they did a CT scan, chest x-ray, 2 blood tests and gave her a saline drip. All scan results came back clear and no bleeds. The blood came back with deranged liver.... something, can't remember, but was told just to repeat blood test next week at doctors, and her ECG showed a few irregular heartbeat but they weren't concerned, just told her to go to doctors to get a 24 hour monitor.

So, the severe headache subsided after she had saline drip and 8 hours in hospital, we assumed it was due to dehydration. We had a light dinner, was about to put her to bed and the headache came back again, 3 hours after getting back from hospital. We called an ambulance again because she couldn't stand for us to take her, however waiting times were long so I laid her down and put a damp towel on her head and massaged her scalp which seemed to soothe it. After an hour and a half, the pain turned to a muzzy feeling and she is managing to doze to sleep so we decided to cancel the ambulance.

We were wondering whether the severe headache could be caused by panic attacks as she is obviously under a lot of stress with worrying about test results after surgery and has had panic attacks before with palpitations, but nothing like this. Seeing as all of her tests and scans came back clear, albeit some minor problems with liver and heart, it's the only other conclusion we can get to.

As soon as I could soothe her head and try to calm her, it was subsiding.

Anyone have any thoughts? It would be much appreciated for any guidance received.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.