Thunderclap headaches for months

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, first time poster.

I'm a 17 year old male, who has been experiencing thunderclap headaches since about January. I hadn't experienced this type of headache before and looked it up, and this seemed to fit my experience best. I had an MRI in February and it was all clear, but the problem persists. I've read up on these headaches and they're usually dangerous, like an aneurysm or something, with the only way to say they're fine being ruling out all real causes.

I've been living in fear all this time, not doing exercise etc. in case it will lead to some bleeding. Is my head MRI a definitive 'greenlight' if you will, or do i need a CT scan etc. as well just to be sure. Other symptoms alongside this are dry mouth and a bloody left nostril (which i find very concerning).

I just haven't felt like i've gotten straight answers on these questions in real life, partly because i only just found out about thunderclap, and was calling it Icepick before, so now i can focus on these specific concerns.

Thanks for reading, and any replies would be appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jake92932

sorry to hear your story about your thunderclap headache episodes.

first of all, i can guarantee you that MRI is the best means by which can help rule out anything serious and in case of thunderclap the worse scenario case is an aneurysm and MRi wouldn't miss that if that was the cause. I'll tell you what stop thinking a lot as this can lead to panic and anxiety disorder plus depression and you will find yourself in a vicious circle and ruin your lifestyle. Once all your tests come back normal, believe me you have to trust those results. I've had all sort of headaches and migraines and I once thought I was going crazy, I had that blooding left nostril which is normal due to your thunderclap headache. but all, I'll say if this is the first time it has happened, obviously get medical attention, check your blood pressure and have any scan either MRi or CT. MRi is more detailed images and takes quite reasonable time during scanning compared to CT which takes seconds due to its radiation also. If all come back fine then you're good. You're not the only one experiencing it my one is worse than yours and been going on for a year.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Nice to here that an MRI is a definitive test. I've had these for months, which is reassuring, but they seem to get worse if i eat worse, which makes me wonder if it's a blood pressure related issue.

I have had it checked and it's fine though.

Sorry to here about yours, wishing you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.