Results in May-              Range

T4- 8.8..........................7.2 - 16

T3- 5.1.........................3.8 - 6.0

TSH-5.1.........................380 - 5.3

Today's Result

T4-9.4

T3-5.7

TSH-5.65.

My TSH is above normal range i guess am Hypo now?

My T4 and T3 are not Low

Please can anybody advice

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Are you on medication?  If so what dosage?  The range for TSH that you posted I have never seen before.  Are you sure that is correct because it doesn't make sense, i.e. 380????  Were you told the cause of your hyperthyroidism?  If you are on medication like Methimazole or Carbimazole, you should contact your doctor about adjusting the dosage.  Also it is important to know the cause of your hyperthyroidism so ask him or her.

• Posted

Hi Linda

Sorry typing error the TSH range is 0.380 - 5.3. Yes i reduced my carbimazole from 20mg to 5mg in November last year and am also taking vitamin's Redoxon.

You think i should reduce the Carbimazole?

• Posted

I would not reduce a prescribed med without first discussing it with your physician.  The reason I said you need to know the cause of your hyperthyroidism is because from what I have seen posted on this Board, if the cause of  your disease is Graves, you will have a different lab pattern than if it is Hashimoto's thyroiditis or a combination of both Graves and Hashimoto's.  In my case, although my Methimazole dosage normalized my Free T3 and T4 in mid range, my TSH would not rise in two years.  I have seen this pattern in other Graves patients.  Whereas, in Hashimoto patients who are on prescribed meds, they bounce from high to low and back again on prescribed meds.  So check with your doc about cutting the dosage of your meds now and also ask him or her what the cause of your hyperthyroidism is.

• Posted

Hi

I saw an endocrinologist today and he said i should stop completely the 5 mg of Carbimozole i have been taking since November last year.

And we can do another blood test in 6 weeks to see.

Is it possible to just stop the Carbimozole?

• Posted

Yes it is possible to stop the Carbimazole, especially when your TSH level is what it is,.  For myself, I have Graves disease and my doc always decreased it slowly by 2.5 mg at a time.  However, my TSH never rose as high as yours is which makes me think you may have Hashimoto's thyroiditis,  Did you ask your doctor about that possibility?

• Posted

Yes I did he even made me do a scan of my thyroid. He said i really don't have Grave or Hashimoto disease. My scan was ok.

I should do another blood test in 6 weeks

• Posted

To my knowledge, the scan is not diagnostic of Hashimoto's but is useful in diagnosing Graves.  However, it is usually done in conjunction with other tests such as blood tests for thyroid antibodies.  The test anti-TPO measures the degree of inflammation which is usually high with Hashimoto's especially and the antibody blood test for Hashimoto's is TGAb.  The antibody tests for Graves are TBII or TRAb.  I agree with your doc about you probably don't have Graves because I don't see that pattern of TSH going from very low to very high with Graves patients when they take Carbimazole.  But I do see that pattern with Hashimoto patients.  Ask your doc to test you for Anti-TPO and TGAb antibodies.  Do some research on Hashimoto's and read up on it.  Then you will feel more confident bringing this up with your doc.

• Posted

Hello Charles,

Linda was right. You need to go back to your doctor, and also the test result should state the normal range of each of the test and also indicate either the reading was HIGH, LOW OR NORMAL. Please go back to your doctor and let him or her review your medications.

• Posted

I saw an endocrinologist today and he said i should stop completely the 5 mg of Carbimozole i have been taking since November last year.

And we can do another blood test in 6 weeks to see.

Is it possible to just stop the Carbimozole?

• Posted

Good Morning Charles,

It is very important to follow the doctors' order. The doctor has his or her reasons to order you to stop the medication. I pray your next blood work will be normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.