Thyroid???

Posted , 7 users are following.

good day everyone

Im just a bit worried about my health. for many years i have suffered from fatique, no matter my sleep routines, I always make sure i get atleast 8hours of sleep, but still, when i wake up, im tired. Also I gained about 20kg (44pounds) this year alone, no matter how i eat, I even cut my portions and trying to eat healthy, but I keep picking up weight.

Im so tired of always feeling tired... could this be my thyroid?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cass,

fatigue can be caused by a number of different things, but it could be hypothyroid. The only way you will know for sure is by going to he doctor and requesting a blood test. Weight gain is also common with this condition (speaking from personal experience as well). 

Might also be worth asking them to test for other conditions associated with fatigue just in case, such as anemia.

• Posted

Hi Cass, I also suffer from fatique and have gained lots of weight. The medication for my thyroid problems is clearly making the fatique worse so much so that my doctor has now taken me off Thyroxine ! I still have to go back to Doctor this week so I don't know what the outcome of this will be. I would say to go back to your doctor and tell him about the problems you are having and what if any alternatives there are.
    • Posted

Hi mags, don't know what your specific situation is but Levo doesn't work for everyone and I have similar symptoms to you when taking it. It may be that you don't convert T4 to T3 hormones properly and taking a T3 med in addition to Levo (such as liothyronine) may help the issues. There is also NDT which is a natural hormone (combination of t4 and t3) which some people find helpful. 
    • Posted

Also, I went through 8 years of doctors not knowing what to do and just kept adjusting the Levo dose to no avail. I'm on the waiting list to see an endocrinologist- you may have more luck (not always, but they are meant to be the experts) with them rather than GPs who don't always know a great deal about thyroid meds
  • Posted

It might be worth asking your GP to get you tested for Sleep Apnoea and rule it out.  

• Posted

Hi Cass, I endorse the advice you are given here. The first step is to get your thyroid blood levels measured - since your symptoms do seem to suggest that you are hypothyridic. And of course, as has been suggested here, there may be a different cause, but TSH and T4 will decide the health of your thyroid very quickly.

If hypothyroidism is diagnosed you will then need the level of more hormones (esp. T3) and vitamins to be tested - and more visits to this blog site! Let us know your results.

• Posted

Hello Cass:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease. I have had this since 1987.

Thyroid disease shows symptoms of weight gain, despite diet.  Also feeling cold, bruising, being tired, dry skin, nails that are brittle, muscle aches, low heart rate, hair loss, low temp.  There are more also, these are common ones.

Ask your GP to do a TSH level and T3, T4 levels.  It will help to see how your thryoid level is.

Also good to check the blood glucose as Diabetes adds weight to people.  Also a mineral panel to include, sodium, magnesium, potassium, calcium, vit D and B-12. ferritin and iron.

It sounds like you could very well have thyroid problems.It is most common in women 20 -45 years old.  Many of times it runs in the family as a trait and is passed on by DNA. Sometimes another medical condition like Lupus can cause it.   It can also happen from stress to the body and a virus called Epstein-Barr (MONONUCELOSIS).  It can also happen after pregnancy. It can also come from a lack of iodine in the diet.  These are just ways people get thyroid problems.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you all!! Im going to get some blood test done as soon as I can, i also noticed on my period tracker that my period has changed the past few years from 3days, tot plus minus 7days. I tried to go to bed a bit earlier than normal, but still feel tired and foggy, I also get up a few times at night as my bladder is full. I have to go alot even during the day. yesterday was worst for me, i couldnt function probably from being so tired.. will have to hear what the dr say. Im 27 years old.  I have had tests for my sugar since i urinate more than I should, but my glucose levels was normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.