Thyroid

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I have an under active thyroid,I have had it for a couple of years my doctor put me on levothyroxine 175mg I have been going to my docs quite a lot because my hair is falling out a lot I have got to the stage I don't want to wash my hair as the amount of hair that comes out is quite bad ,it is all over the floors bed clothes couch etc, I am going bald on top of my head,I have got to the stage I don't know what to do , I have tried everything, and my docs says it's my thyroid, and there's nothing I can do about it except to accept it which I can't ,it is actually making me depressed and weepy ,could someone please HELP.x

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello I am so sorry to hear you are losing your hair and the attitude of your gp.

I have been hypothyroid for over 20 years.  Recently when I was at my gp's for something else (I have other health issues) I mentioned that I often don't feel 

100% and was told that even on the right dose ( I am on 125mg) you don't always

lose all the symptoms and I was lucky I have not lost my hair.  I think you should

pursue this further as it is obviously upsetting you and ask for a referral to an

endocrinologist for a thorough check.  Do you still have other symptoms and do you know your last blood test results.  Perhaps there is something else causing

the hair loss.  Also look at Thyroid UK for information on the subject.  Good luck

and let us all know how you get on.  I know only too well that doctors sometimes try to fob you off so persevere.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Mary,you sound very down at the moment but don't give up there are people who can help you.I joined a thyroid group on Facebook and they are brilliant,all people with the same problems who will point you in the right direction.Also there is a very good book available on Amazon which goes through every aspect of Thyroid and ways to help yourself,its called Stop the Thyroid Madness & is worth every penny.You will learn things that thr Dr's in the NHS don't tell you & learn what you can do for yourself.Do look on Facebook for THyroid help and Support there is a waiting list to join but not too long and you will meet lots of like minded people
  • Posted

Hi Mary, I found the book called Thyrdoid Disorders by Dr. Anthony Toft, published by the British Medical Association really helpful. It's £4.75 so good value for money. There are certain phrases which really stood out for me: he states that the normal ranges for the commonly measured hormones will vary slightly from laboratory to laboratory, which means it is not set in tablets of stone. Dr. Toft also states that 'thyroid blood tests shuld not be interpreted in isolation and correct medical care will also depend on careful assessment of symptoms and examination.' It is a pity that G.P.s seem to be more worried about the small risk of overdosing with Levothyroxine, even with very small increases,  than the much greater risk of long term damage to the endocrine system with underdosing Levothyroxine. Surprisingly, Dr. Toft believes that there is a variation in tablet strength between different manufacturers and he states that it is wise to 'insist' that the same make of thryoxine is dispensed. I had a chat with my friendly pharmacist about this and he said that because thyroxine is such a 'sensitive' drug, he agrees that the active ingredients could well vary between manufacturers. Eltroxin used to be the favourite make, but now cheaper brands are available. I have been prescribed Actavis and Mercury Pharma. I am dosed on 75 mls and convinced that my symptoms are symptomatic of underdosing. Awaiting a raft of blood tests. I mentioned this book to my GP, who hadn't heard of it, but was interested. 
  • Posted

I have heard the levothyroxine is associated with hair loss, have you read the leaflet inside the packet? I think my hair is shedding more than it used to, I have been on them since Xmas, I have just started using Lloreal Fibrology shampoo which does thicken the hair so that may be a solution in the short term. Good Luck .
  • Posted

Hi Mary I know its scarey when you lose your hair but it does seem more hair than it actually is.  i lose lots of hair on my head and my work colleagues are constantly de hairing my clothes but it does grow back.  I've not got too much in the eyebrows and on a positive note I only shave my legs and armpit monthly as I don't grow hair much there either.  I suppose I got used to this over the years.  im hoping my GP will reduce my LEV on Thursday as I suffer with bad muscle pain. Scazzoh Im wondering if the change in my Lev manufacturer has made me ill this last couple month.  I will look into this 
  • Posted

hi mary

sorry to hear you are feeling low.my 14 year old daughter has been diagnosed with jhms through that she had blood tests,her vit level was  24 which they have put her on medication for,but the tsh was 7.5 and t4 13-,ive tryed looking on the net and reading posts on here it looks like she has a underactive thyroid she hasnt been put on medication for this,she also is very weepy her hair breaks all the time and falls  out alot and is always tired i didnt realize all this could be because of her tsh ,im going to see my daughters doctor about this ,and must encourage you  to see another doctor ,good luck and i hope you feeling better soon

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I cannot offer much in the way of medical advice, but I do know, and I think it is generally accepted these days, that our physical condition is very much tied up with our mental state. We could look at that mental state together, if you wish.

You say the doctor said there is nothing you can do except accept it, which you can't.

May I ask what do you mean when you say you 'cannot accept it'? What is it exactly that you cannot accept? You tell us that your hair is falling out, and presumably that is a fact, and your reporting it is a sort of 'acceptance', is it not? So what is it you are not accepting?

A further question: Now that you take the levothyroxine, are your hormone levels in the normal range?

Best wishes

Clive

• Posted

Hi, I'm only recently diagnosed so am not an expert, but I seem to recall reading something about being deficient in ferritin (iron) can cause hair loss. Perhaps get your doctor to test your levels to see if you should take a supplement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.