Thyroid 25mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was started on 25mg levothyroxine in April after feeling terrible for 6 years, everyone just thought it was down to the menapause (I'm 50). I went and saw my doctor for a cortisone injection for my shoulder and mentioned that my hair was falling out, my joints were aching and I felt tired all the time, he sent me for blood tests and then again after 3 months. He said my TSH levels were higher than the last test, I was started on 25mg of levothyroxine and the first 3 week it made me feel so good but then it all went back to 'normal' (joints aching, tired, hair falling out). I had more blood tests but my TSH levels remain the same so the doctor left my dosage at 25mg. I have no idea what my levels are and will ask next time I'm in for a blood test (Oct). My main concern is my hair (which has always been thin/fine) continues to fall out at what seems an alarming rate, and I just have to look at food and I can feel my weight increasing - will these symptons ever settle down. What TSH level determines the dosage and does it take a while to kick in (6 months) ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi i get the same simtoms as you discribed, i started putting on waight when i was 39 i have a lot of simtoms depression akes and paines hair los and i get cold sweats they make me feel realy low i have suffered with this 12 years and was diognosed a year ago, thay put me on 25mg of thyroxin but i haven't felt any differant i went for a blood test a few weeks ago but it all came back normal i have been told by a lot of people that you will alway get the simptons some days i feel better then others i hope you will start feeling better soon
  • Posted

I'm the same - 25mgs for the last 8 weeks. I feel no benefit at all but my GP \"is delighted things have stabilised\" I was told it would take years to sort out and have been given another 8 weeks of the same dosage. It doen't matter how I feel or what I say they don't look beyond the blood tests. My initial readings were 8/27 and now they are 8/21 if that means anything? I actually had 50% of my thyroid removed 4 years ago and this is how far I have gortten in all of that time!!!
  • Posted

Hi I have had the right side of my thyroid gland removed and I take 100 mcg of thyroxine daily. I started on 25 mcg and gradually increased over a year. I sometimes have bad days but I do feel better than I have done during the last 15 years.

Could I just mention here that if you are on thyroxine you are entitled to free prescriptions. Nobody told me this and I was paying for mine for ages.

• Posted

How do you get free prescription? Please let me know...

• Posted

Hi my sympathies are with you, I had a bit of a time gettin the Rx right. I was started on 25mcg which frankly did nothing and it took many vivsits to the gp and yes my bloods were 'normal' apparently ... but what gp's failed to realise was that what is normal for one may not be normal for someone else... they should be encouraged to treat the symptoms and not focus too much on the bloods. You some times just need to keep goin back to them I know some days you may not have the energy to lift the fone to make an appointment but once you get the meds right you will be a new person .. keep at em , dont lose heart :wink:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.