Thyroid

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had blood tests and the receptionist said some were borderline, I have been having a lot of joint pain in hands fingers wrists, my arms ache very bad sciatica that keeps coming and going, heel pain lower back pain, flank pain. I tend to have a lot of sweet things and I like salty things but can't eat salt on my dinner, I have weight gain gritty eyes no energy at all. I get to see doctor tomorrow they said it was not urgent, has anyone else had borderline results.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes! I had 'borderline' results for many many years and can tell you it is really ridiculous these levels keep changing from lab to lab with the levels. What I mean to say is; Years ago the lab levels were something like 0.3 - 5.3 for TSH I was normally around 5.4 so I was considered borderline. I suffered for years with weight gain, hair falling out, mood swings, etc. FINALLY the rules of the levels changed to a much lower set point (I forget just now coz I am just too over excited to tell you this) to something like 3.00. Of COURSE I was finally believed!

My point is, you are more than likely having thyroid issues. However, you need to state what side of borderline you are. If you are on the higher number scale of TSH then you are hypthyroid....ie a result of say 4.7 is hypo. If you are say, 0.02 then that is hyperthyroid and they need different treatments.

The biggest thing with thyroid levels is that they can change but if you have hypothyroid (by the sounds of it you do) it would be wise to get antibodies tested as well to rule out Hashimoto's disease which is a progressive thyroid disorder.

Sometimes being on a short course of thyroid medication, ( a year or less) can kick the thyroid to 'behave'

I know that is a lot to take in, but I would like to see your levels you had reported back and see where they think you are borderline.

Cheers

• Posted

Thank you for the reply, I just hope I am not just left and wait and see, cause I feel terrible at the moment, one minute I am cold next I am hot, I am 63 and I have had similar systems for 3 years the last blood test was normal. I may be wrong and it may not be my thyroid, but the receptionist said it was not urgent. I travelled on a bus yesterday and quite sick, but that could have been cause I took 1 Ibroprofen for all the joint pain, I am drinking loads of water so I don't get dehydrated, I did sleep for 6 hours last night the most for 2 weeks, I will see if I can get the levels tomorrow. Thankyou
  • Posted

Hello Lyn:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

My results were not borderline back in 1987 when I was diagnosed. From the symptoms I would say it sounds more like Hypothyriodism. 

Hpothyroid symptoms can make muscles hurt and create bad pains in legs.  many people are also low in Vit D.  They can test for it and if low you can be on replacement Vit D.

Some other symptoms are:  Muscle aches, bruising, feeling cold, feeling tired and sleepy, low energy, headaches, no periods or irregular ones, and dry skin and brittle nails.  There are more these are coomon ones.

Also get a calcium level, iron level, magnesium, sodium levels along with a Vit D level and Sjogren's antibody test.

Also look into Sjogren's syndrome as it can be a cause of someof your symptoms and it is related to the arthritis family. They have a blood test for it. It is known to cause gritty eyes and muscle aches. It is a collection of symptoms and you can have that also.

Get some extra blood work done as I mentioned above and keep us posted on how you do.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Shelley well just got back from the doctor and I did have a complete blood test done, and they say I have fibromyalgia, I have had osteoarthritis in lower back for 20 years but the only thing that came back which was not normal was a raised els test and showed inflammation, so I will be having another blood test middle of January, but all the other results were completely normal, not sure what I preference to have because if I only have the start of this and I felt terrible for for such a long time on and off, I am worried what it will be like later on.

Regards. Lyn

• Posted

Hello Lyn:

Fibromylagia can come from a build up of phosphates in the blood and it can of course cause lot's of pain and tiredness.  It is a real problem and many people have it.  So at least you now know about it. 

It may be good to try and eliminate Gluten in the diet. Gluten is know to bother a number of conditions, including fibromylagia and thyroid plus celiac's disease.

They do have treatments now that can help with Fibromylagia. you may want to google it and there are youtube videos about it.

Thanks for the update and do let us know how you do. 

Regards,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.