Thyroid

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had bloodwork done in September which showed high THS and normal T4. Had bloodwork again in Oct. and showed low end of normal THS and high T4. Still haven't heard from my Doctor. I'm on amiodarone. 200mg/day. Is that too much iodine?!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laurie,

Be extra careful keeping a check on your thyroid readings while taking Amiodarone. I was on it for over 12 months and it completely wiped out my thyroid gland's ability to function normally. The consultant said it is not repairable so I will have to take Levothyroxine everyday for the rest of my life. I was then changed from Amiodarone to Tildiem and digoxin, which has been a great improvement. 

• Posted

I've been on amiodarone for a year now. I had 2 cardiac arrests and multiple shocks from my implantable cardioverter defibrillator, which is why I'm on the amio. I'm already on levothyroxine 0.088mg per day. I just hope I'm not getting too much iodine..

Thanks for your reply!

• Posted

I am a trained biochemistry technician so I thought it would be useful for you to understand what the letters mean. It is TSH not THS and stands for thyroid stimulating hormone.  This hormone  stimulates the thyroid to produce thyroxine (T4).  The high TSH was showing that your thyroid was not responding well ie  it was trying to get the thyroid to put out more T4.  By October it seems to have sorted itself out - ie the TSH was happy!

I cannot answer the question about the iodine - only your doctor can answer that question as he has teh full picture.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.