Thyroid and Gluten

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All, I was diagnosed with Hashimotos 2 years ago and since then despite normal TSH, I am still tired, have dry skin, hair loss and some skin problems. My most recent TSH was 21 so am out of whack but partly put this down to not taking my medication as well as I should have been in last few months. I would like to know if anyone out there has had success (e.g. more energy etc) by eating a gluten free diet? I have tested negative for Celiac disease but just wondering if anyone has tried a gf diet? Would be particularly interested if you have been advised by a medical professional to do this. Many thanks! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aisling,

I recently been on a gluten free and dairy free diet for about 2-3 months now and I feel great.

Before hand I was feeling like crap, and noticed I started having stomach and digestive issues to include heartburn, feeling joint pain, depression and werid headaches. I was getting fustrated cause I thought I got rid of all those annoying symptoms when I switced over to NDT Armour  from generic levo. I also made sure my vitamins and minerals looked good in my blood work. But for some reason I started feeling like crap again, and my doctor said eveything looked good bloodwork wise but it could be leaky gut or something with my adrenals.

I went home that day an researched and sure enough, alot of the symptoms listed was what I was experiencing. Researching it, seems a lot of people with Hypothyroid will mostly likely run into gut problems due to having low stomach acid. Cause of this, those with hypothyroid will most likely have problems digesting gluten, dairy and other stuff. 

So I started repairing my gut and avoiding everything gluten and dairy and I have felt a difference. I have better energy, and no more headaches, or heartburn, or joint pain. So yes, I would say give it a try, especially if everything else has already been checked and seem normal.

• Posted

Hello Aisling:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have had Hashimoto's since 1987.  I am 54.

Gluten is a binder they add to food.  It can be found in dough, wheat products, pasta and baked goods.

Celiacs disease have an intolernace to it and can get cramps, loose bowels, headaches, joint problems and it can make you feel as if you have the flu. It can make your joints ache.

I do not have Celiac's disease either but the thought process is our bodies react to the Gluten and it causes bowel and joint problems and it can make Hashi's or autoimmune conditions, like Graves and Lupus have flare ups.

I have eliminated  Gluten as much as I possibly can. My energy is good and my joints feel better too. Now they have a long aisle in my market dedicated to non gluten items and many companies are making Gluten Free items and even baked goods and pasta products.

Give it a try, and see if you get more energy out of your body. There is a support group on the alternative diets section of this forum that can help you also.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

My doctor advised I eliminate gluten and soy from my diet and I have to say it's been the best thing I could have done. There is no cheating with the gluten. Every time you give you body gluten the immune response can last up to six months. Just a little bit here and there is attacking your thyroid, so why bother? It's literally the easiest thing I could have done to get on the road to health. Nobody needs bread, pasta, pastries, cookies etc. And if you think you do there is an alternative for all of it either in your supermarket or online. 

I do not claim to be a health worker. I'm not a nurse, doctor, psychotherapist, or surgeon. Just a person who researches a lot, and never trusts one person's word for anything. smile

• Posted

Hi PR/Shelley/Sabrina, Thank you so much for the replies! I am going to see what my next bloods are like (due in 2 weeks or so) and then give GF diet a try. It certainly can't do any harm and what you've all said does make sense so I appreciate it. smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.