thyroid and hair loss??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, i have just started taking thyroxine (50mcg). Had many symptoms of UAT but mainly severe hair loss and loss of eyebrows :cry: . Was wondering if anybody else had suffered this? Also if the thyroxine has helped with regrowth and how long did it take for signs of new growth of hair? Would love to hear from anybody else who has experienced this.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

my hair thinned right out and it was worrying me to an extreme....but after 6 months of taking the medication it was back to normal!!!
  • Posted

HI im new to this forum but reading through alot of the experiences i am not alone. I have had under active thyroid for 29 yrs and i am going through a bad patch again at the moment been on thyroxin and now the cheaper version levothyroxin and my hair has started to fall out and the weight has piled back on dosen't help that i have a back problem and in a wheelchair only recently that is bad enough without having to cope with my thyroid i just wonderd if anyone else has had this complain then been ok with the medication then all of a sudden it starts to play up again.

When you already feel on a low its hard to tell if its thyroid or just life in general sorry for moaning im not usually like this and when your on the right dose of meds then you dont even think about thyroid trouble. Thanks for listening Pat

• Posted

Hi there Everyone/Patpaul18

Yes I have had an underactive thyroid for almost 10 years and I tend to know when my levels are not right aswell..... I have back problem, ddd, Fibromyalgia, Asthma and arthritis in the hip and so I can feel down with this all too...... I have wanted to loose weight but being less mobile due to the pain I am finding it hard sad and so I went to see my GP and he referred me to the nurse she has said that she cannot give me any help until blood is taken to check my thyroid levels and so I am hoping after my medication is checked I am going to get help :roll: After one year I have lost 1lb, I suppose it could be worse I could have gained weight, but due to having my third child in 2006 my weight is a nightmare!!

Kind Regards

SES

• Posted

Thinning hair is common. And for some inexplicable reason so is losing the outer third of your eyebrow (which I have). My hair loss abated once I was stable but my eyebrows have never regrown the outer third :roll:
  • Posted

Hi thankyou all for your comments, it does help to talk to people who understand what you mean. It seems some of you have a lot to put up with thyroid trouble is like a silent illness when its good you dont know you have a problem but when its bad it lets you know. I have also been to a neurologist today and he has told me i wont get any better then i am now dont know which is worse back or thyroid they both slow you up but i go to drs tomorrow he will send me for a blood test and sort me out i hope thanks again take care Patx
  • Posted

Hi patpaul18

I hope you get sorted out at the docs xx, I am with the nurse tomorrow to see if my levels have fluctuated or not and then she said she will help me with my weight problem! My pain is worse also due to reducing my medication as I had side effects, I am seeing my GP as well to check what meds he can give me for the pain? :oops:

Take care x

SES

• Posted

My hair loss started once I was put on Levothyroxine but it stopped once I changed my meds and went onto Armour. Although it has not regrown as it is now quite thinned out on top!!
  • Posted

Hi

When I initially started thyroxine treatment one of the first things I noticed was that my hair stopped falling out and the bath plug hole was free from clogging. I'm on 75mcg 4x a week and 50mcg 3 times a week. My hair started to feel softer and less drier until a month ago. Now my hair has started to fall out again, the bath plug hole is being clogged again and my hair is feeling dry like straw!!!

Is that a sign that my thyroxine levels are low again?

ms

• Posted

Hi ms1,

Ask your Doctor for another blood test? my hair falls out quite a lot but I find it is more so in the summer months????? :roll: not sure whether it is due to the thyroid levels?

Nice to hear from you and I hope you have support from your GP xx

Take care x

• Posted

Thanks SES, nice to hear from you too. Right now I feel so crap (mind my language). I've just been reading the posting on T3 and sounds good, I'm going to see what I can do. When I was on 75mcg 3 x a week and 50 mcg 4 x a week my hair was looking good for the first time in ages. since I've moved upto taking 75mcg 4 x a week and 50 mcg 3 x a week thats where my hair has started to come out again and feels like straw.

Fed up of GP just now, he just wants me on anti depressants.

Take care

ms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.