Thyroid and PMS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I suffer from terrible PMS and am desperate for help. I don't want to take anti depressants to control it and I know herbal remedies can react with the thyroxine.

We already suffer being hypothyroid and then have to go through the extra misery of PMS. I get very sensitive, paranoid, crying all the time, screaming and severe anger. It's not nice for my husband and children and friends.

Have any of you got some advice please?

ms

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I also suffer from pms have done for a long time (back when it used to be called pmt) and I'm sorry to say that the medical treatment for it hasn't moved on in over twenty years, possibly longer! Back in my teens they put you on the pill or offer anti inflams and anti depressants none of which worked for me, it all made me sick, fat and tired.

Being diagnosed with hypothyroidism after the birth of son didn't change medical opinion and the symptoms got so much worse and am finding it difficult if not impossible to get pregnant again (it's been six years of crushing disappointment) Anyway the consensus of the medical profession seems to be if you can't take the pills too bad for you, next patient please!

I've seen so called experts who just shrug their shoulders and say, \"well if you wont take the pills there's nothing we can do\"

I've found that a healthy diet and a lot of exercise can help a little but to be honest with you I rarely feel up to it when I'm feeling bloated, tired, emotional and sometimes sick.

Sorry I can't be of more use but hope it helps to know you’re not the only one.

• Posted

Hi,

you say that you can´t take any herbal remedies, which ones are they?

I normally take evening primrose oil. Do you know if it is contraindicated?

• Posted

I suffer with hypothyroidism and evening primrose is fine.. you need to take it every day mind. Don't take st johns wort although Agnus castus and a good B complex vitamin supplement is good and will help. I was on antidepressants and that was rubbish for me as it made me feel tired and gave me weird thoughts...
  • Posted

Try Agnus Castas from the chemist. It was the only thing that came near to curing my PMS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.