Thyroid and statin

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am on 125 levo. My doctor has recommended 20 statin, based upon one slightly raised cholesterol level. Tells me I am borderline diabetic and may be B12 deficient (awaits blood results).

unsure about taking statins and levo. Had gall bladder removed 30 years ago.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ian:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease.

Statins  like Lipitor must be taken at night.  It is normally ordered at bedtime as that is when our cholesterol levels rise. You must have more than 4 hours separation between the two meds.  Also, Levo needs to be taken on an empty stomach and you need to wait an hour before eating.

If you have high cholesterol you will build a plaque in the arteries and it will cause them to narrow. It prevents Atherosclerosis which is the name of a heart disease. They know more now, about prevention of heart disease, and this invention of cholesterol medication is helpful.

Now you should lower bad fats in your diet. Ex: Butter, lard, eggs,  dairy items, etc...it will help but in some of us cholesterol is a hereditary problem. You can ask the doctor if you can see a Nutritionist who can plan a low fat diet.  This may be a better way to control it as long as you follow the diet plan.

As long as you have a Liver these meds will be absorbed there. If your B-12 is low you can get injections for that. B-12 helps with making new Red Blood cells and energy. Many of us with thyroid problems have low B-12 and Vit D. 

Statins have helped many people.  Some statins can give you a headache as a side effect, but since everyone is different you would have to try it and see.

Being DIabetic is another problem, and that may require oral diabetic pills or insulin.

I hoped I helped.

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Ian:

I just wanted to say, if your TSH is low (HYPO), the cholesterol can be high but once TSH is in the normal range, Cholesterol should be at normal levels and I confirmed this with my Doctor.

So if the cholesterol stays high, it could be diet and hereditary factors.

Have a Happy New Year.

Shelly

• Posted

There is no link between high cholesterol and heart disease. High cholesterol levels are not harmful. High cholesterol is a symptom of under active thyroid disease. There is a really good book about this which I can give you the title of if you want to PM me. 
    • Posted

I am interested in the book you have referred to regarding high cholesterol and under active thyroid, please can you give me the details.

Many thanks.

• Posted

Hi Ian , 

I think if your cholesterol is only slightly rised it would be better to try and bring it down naturally , walking and diet and once your hypo is under cocntrol your cholesterol should decrease. Concidering the side effects of statins better to stay off them if possible . 

• Posted

Thanks Sanj,

These were my thoughts too. I will try and lower my cholesterol by natural means, as this is the first time that I have been told that my cholesterol is slightly high. I haven't attempted to lower it by diet and exercise and 20mg seemed high also.

• Posted

Thats good , let us know how you get on smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.