Thyroid and Swollen Painful Breasts

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have been on Levothyroxine since June and recently my breasts have felt swollen and painful.  I have had a check-up and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong so is this another side affect of Thyroxine?

Has anyone else experienced this?   It feels like the tenderness you get in early pregnancy but I am not pregnant!!

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am also using LevothyroxineNatrium in Euthyrox since I have been using this I have seen my breasts grow and indeed be sensitive. They also produce liquid my matrass has wet spots in the morning. It is so weird. My doctor is looking into this. But seeing this I think the medication could be the problem. Please note that I am a man!! I hope that his comment will help others finding out what the problem is.

• Posted

I have Levothyroxine now for a longer period. And in this period my breasts are growing and are sensitive. Also they lactate. Please note that I am a man, therefore I am definitely not happy with this. My doctor has not found a cause yet. After performing several tests. But seeing this I think I have a good possible culprit.

I hope this helps some other person. . .

• Posted

omg I just started taking it and my nipples feel so sore and just googled it and I'm glad I'm not the only with this issue. my mom is on the brand name synthroid, perhaps it might be better to switch for me unless it will do the same. so far it's just my nipples. is that how it started for you? I also felt as if I'm pregnant but I know I'm not and I just had my period as well.

• Posted

Hi I am a 62 year old male and have been on Levothyroxin since September . I've noticed soreness and minor swelling of my nipples since early December. I raised this with the endocrinologist just prior to Xmas and they weren't concerned. I'm assuming that it will ease in time once my thyroid stabilizes but have read nothing that suggests that it in fact will.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.