Thyroid and unstable levels

Posted , 4 users are following.

For years I have been blamed for non compliance with my Thyroxine medication. Finally as my thyroid had completely bottomed out I did an immunity screening. i am positive for anti gastric pariental antibodies. Just done some research, there is a good possibility that suffers need more thyroxine than the guidelines state. plus as this is located in the gut and is responsible for the none absorption of B12 my guess is anxiety may have some effect...

will I ever get an apology from GPs?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

I very much doubt it. In my experience, they all have God complexes and I have never ever had an apology from any medic despite 3 misdiagnoses. I had a gastroenterologist tell me I had cirrhosis of the liver which resulted in my husband taking early retirement so we could spend more time together, believing that I was life limited. 13 months later, I was told that I didn't and that the Fibroscan had yielded an unclear picture.

I was told by an endocrinologist that I had hyper thyroidism when I actually had Hashimoto's thyroiditis. He suggested i see a dietician about "controlling my appetite" because I had put on 3 stone in 3 months when even a medical student should know that one of the symptoms of under active thyroid, is un explained weight gain. He also said that my hair would grow back in 6 to 12 months. 20 years on, and I am almost bald at the front.

A GP i went to with symptoms of a prolapsed disc said "it's just a bit of back pain, you'll have to learn to live with it". I was in extreme pain, urinary incontinent and numb down my leg and labia. He didn't even offer me a pain killer, let alone an MRI scan.

We insisted on a second opinion and if we hadn't, I would be in a wheelchair by now as the disc was compressing nerves so badly. I had a laminectomy which helped a lot, but I still have some numbness which will never get better cause by the delay.

So, no, I don't think you will be granted the courtesy of an apology. They just try to get you out of the surgery with as little impact on their budget as they can get away with.

Do I sound cynical and bitter??!

• Posted

Undortunately this is as it is nowadays, we need to be in charge of our own health. Well done for you to take charge. i would be dead by now, if I had not.

• Posted

Undortunately this is as it is nowadays, we need to be in charge of our own health. Well done for you to take charge. i would be dead by now, if I had not.

• Posted

I cannot help being angry. tests are available to check autoimmunity..but they don't appear to use them, all I ever seem to see is a professional staring at a plastic box with words on it and hardly looks away...

• Posted

They're all robots in my opinion. couldn't diagnose their way out of a paper bag.

xx

• Posted

So very true. They can't think outside the box and even if they do, they are bound by so many rules and regulations. My GP doesn't even monitor my Hashimoto's. i have to get my own tests done for antibodies and T3 levels. Hopeless.

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.