Thyroid/Anxiety - unsure which

Posted , 6 users are following.

About 4 weeks ago i started to feel light headed and had a few back twinges nothing major which I thought was the start of a water infection. Anyway a few days after that I had a 'panic attack' just before I was going to bed, I went to the doctors and explained what had happened who then put me on medication for 'anxiety' straight away with out any check up really -  I'd been back and fourth to the doctors, walk in center and A&E with chest pains, heart palpitations and not feeling 100%, I was advised by one doctor to stop taking medication as I felt better without, a week went by and I was fine on the Saturday of that week I had a few alcoholic drinks with family and the next day I woke up with a hangover and apart from the hang over I had no other symptoms, that night my heart began racing and I was figetty but it soon passed. I was back at the doctors that week and explained all what had happened and he insisted I took medication for anxiety even though I told him i felt better without. I went away and didnt feel happy with what he said so I went to see another doctor a few days later and explained all to him again he put it all down to anxiety and the symptoms I felt but told me he'd give me an MOT (bloodtests) to put my mind at ease, as he was looking back through my previous blood tests in April my results for my thyroid came up as low but everything else came back ok apart from showing signs of PCOS  and it said to re test my thyroid again in 3-6months which would of been october at the latest which i've only just been retested for now. Can your thyroid even itself out in 3-6months? I wouldnt of thought so if people have to be on medication longterm if they suffer from thyroid problems.

Alot of my symptoms come under both thyroid and anxiety - but i cant help but worry it is something more serious, The anxiety has only started (in my opinion) since the first panic attack! I've also read that having psoriasis can play a part in thyroid problems and i've suffered from psoriasis from being a young child

I will only get the results from my blood tests on thursday/friday and im really worried ... and as much as I try not to I cant help but to google my symptoms sad which makes it even worse.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi laura I have had an underactive thyroid for over 10 yrs now I have been ill for 5 months npw with anxiety and palpatations which were constant they couldnd find anything wrong I am still not feeling rite . It sounds like u may have underactive thyroid I no my anxiety is my thyroid playin havoc but doc wont listen I have heart flutters even get them in my neck . Make sure they test ur iron too that can cause ur symptoms hope u get well x
  • Posted

Hi Rachel - yeah I get neck flutters too which i've been told are normal are you on any medication for your anxiety? I decided not to take mine. They are checking practically everything in my bloods so i'll hopefully get results on friday, and hopefully get to the bottom of why i've been feeling so rubbish lately. Have you not tried speaking to another doctor and getting them to look further into how you feel? Everything seems to have come at once for me sad Hope u get sorted too. Thanks for your reply x
    • Posted

Hi laura

yes the doctor gave me sertraline but I havnt taken it . Iv changed doctors but still get no where with it all they look at me as if im makin it all up I have had pains in my neck where the thyroid is I also found little lumps on my thyroid they dont check it il just keep goin bk till they listen I hope you feel better soon good luck x

• Posted

Oh no! Do you not have an out of hours number you can contact to see them? And hopefully they will listen. Its horrible when doctors don't listen and when you know your generally unwell or whatever and they think they can tell you how you feel is okay-  i'm 24 and had to take my grandad with me to get somewhere and going back on friday for my blood results im taking my sister whos a nurse to hopefully get somewhere - its ridiculous. Hope you finally get somewhere soon and are sorted soon x
    • Posted

Hi laura iv booked another doctors appointment with a different doctor on monday so hopefuly he will listen if he dosnt im going to pay private . Hope u get answers u need too and hope u feel better soon x
    • Posted

Hope you get the answers you need smile ... good luck and hopefully your on the mend soon x
  • Posted

I had a panic attack last month an well my doctor thought l was experiencing vertigo an anxiety , so I stuck with that so for 3 weeks of being feeling brain fog , dizzines , confusion , headaches , shaking , and being moody , I got my labs done an found out I had an underactive thyroid so I'm on 50 mcg on levothyroxine and well I started feeling a bit better but my brain fog an confusion are barely going away lil by little ... But today I happen to eat a burger an some fries and a coke an right now I feel really bad ugly with a headache , but yah talk with your doctor
    • Posted

Im just awaiting my blood results too see if it could be thyroid problems! - hope you start feeling alot better soon 
  • Posted

Hi Laurajayne

I thought I was reading about myself about three years ago. This is exactly what happened to me and I was also referred for CTB for health anxiety! (I also suffered from psoriasis). Visits to A&E with panic attacks and chest pains etc. etc. basically feeling terrible but worrying too that something wose was going on.

To cut a long story short, all my previous tests came back ok, but it's only now three years later that I've discovered I had been suffering from Hypothyroidism. The reason for this is because they only tested for

TSH, had they looked at T3/T4 I would have been diagnosed sooner. Unfortunately your thyroid doesn't right itself and usually gets worse over time. After a year of being on levo. my levels are still not right. It can take months to get levels normal. I know exactly what you are going through and I only wish I had pushed harder to get more tests carried out. I don't know if this is of any use, but I think it's good to know that you are not going crazy. it sounds to me that you need to be on some treatment. Even a small dose as yyou shouldn't have to put up with symptons. In my non expert opinion I think if untreated it will untilmately lead to more complicated stuff. (it did for me).

• Posted

But after your on treatment for hypothyroid and your back to your normal tsh levels etc.. Are your symptoms supposed go away and be back in good physical an mental health ?
    • Posted

On my bloods it said I wasnt being tested for t4 im unsurw what that meant and im not 100% sure what they tested the first time (in april) for it to come back low ... but since my first panic attack Ive got into an obsession of checking every little ache/pain/twinge and thinking the worst, its horrible. Ive been referred for CBT because of the anxiety sad - i'll just have to wait and see what my blood results are on friday - Hope you start feeling better soon 
    • Posted

In a nutshell, no. My TSH is now reading 'normal' but my T4 is out of range currently at 21. I think the limit is around 19.6. So in a year of feeling rubbish and lots of symptons to deal with I have never felt ok, physically or mentally. I've gone from boarderline under' to just over'. Having started on 50mg now on 100mg, and will put me down to 75mg. I think the only person to sort this out is an Endocrinologist.
  • Posted

Hi Laura

In this country GP's only usually do TSH (Thyroid Secretion Hormone). But you should also have T4 & T3. Your TSH can read normal i.e but your T4 which is the amount of thyroxine you are making, can be out of range. This is precisely what happened to me. No one mentioned the other ranges, (there's actually more but don't want to confuse the issue). My recent tests show my TSH as normal but because I requested T4/T3 my T4 is now above the range. So in a year I've gone from boarderline under' to just over'.

I too was constantly checking myself, assessing my symptons etc, it's no wonder because this is what an abnormal thyroid function does to you.

Really, we should be able to see and Endocrinologist, but it's very hard to get a referal. I'm certainly going to try and push for one. You defo need to find out where your T4 is at.

• Posted

An update - i went to the doctors today for my blood results and the results of my bloods were all normal apart from my thyroid which is under active but they've said they're not going to start any medication yet - so lets see how i get on! I knew from the start there was a reason behind my first panic attack and it wasn't anxiety x
    • Posted

Thats good news then laura at least u know now why u had a pannic attack I have them all the time what was ur tsh and t4 
    • Posted

He didn't say what it was but basically implied that because I haven't been in complaining about tiredness, headaches and the rest, that for now it doesn't need treating - but like you its my thyroid making my anxiety play up, I cried my eyes out this morning at the fact my boyfriend was going to work and I didn't want to be on my own. And to say 5 weeks ago I enjoyed being on my own and having a bit of time to myself to now being scared of being left alone is ridiculous, and I know i'm being stupid but my feelings take over my thoughts if that makes sense, and i start feeling sick when I know im being left, and like today I cry sad its a vicious circle sad its horrible xx 
    • Posted

Hi laura 

I understand how ur feeling iv been like u for 5 months with anxiety my boyfriend has left his job to be with me I cant be on my own if he goes the shop I start havin hot sweats and thinking things are going to happen to me I started having a feeling that my heart had stopped very horrible feeling but I used to be out all the time on my own n clubbing with friends now I go no where unless I really have to but my bloods are in normal range and I still feel like this I was like this yrs ago then it just went away just like tha its strange and it will go away

• Posted

Its only in a morning it bothers me about being left alone, if i'm home from work earlier than him it doesn't bother me at all - just the morning ... When ive done too much rushing around or what ever i start going light headed and get a few chest pains sadthe chest pains worry me but when i had an ecg they said my heart is fine. Im sure its my thyroid making me feel so rubbish sad and i dont want the anxiety to get worse x
    • Posted

Hi laura 

I also get chest pain been to hospital few times with it but ecg is always fine but I no u do get chest pain when u feel anxious it is probably ur thyroid makiing u feel like that hope it gets better for u 

• Posted

Thank you smile just wanna feel normal again and be able to enjoy christmas too smile hopefully i"ll get somewhere after christmas and be on the mend x
    • Posted

Thats how i feel its funny how a few weeks can make you feel and think so differently to before. Hope ur on the mend soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.