Thyroid Blood tests

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am new and have some questions about Thyroid blood test results. I was told today that my levels were elevated at 4.8. I am coming off of having acute double pneumonia so I am wondering if this is normal. I was given these results by a receptionist over the phone and was told to come back in after 10 days to have the levels checked again. Any advice?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

That's not much information.  What level is 4.8 supposed to stand for?  Always get a paper copy of your blood tests.  They will show your level and beside your level show the normal range for that test.  It is impossible to know what test this refers to.
  • Posted

Which level was 4.8 ? Tsh t3 or t4
    • Posted

That's just it! I received this news from a receptionist over the phone at 430pm on a Friday. No other info except to get rest, fluids and eat well because my thyroid levels were a little elevated. I was told normal is around 4.2 and mine were 4.8. In all honesty I really didn't even know the right questions to ask to begin with.
  • Posted

To be fair eat well rest and fluids generally dont do anything if you have a thyroid problem i would suggest to call back and find out which level is incorrect this may help hetting info from people on here xx
    • Posted

Unfortunately, I can't get ahold of anyone until Tuesday because of the holiday and so I was given miniscule information about something I know nothing about to ponder over and freak out over during a 3 day weekend...#scaredandfrustrated
  • Posted

Dont freak out hun you will be ok till tuesday im sure its only if its left untreayed for a long time i was left for 5 years and when i was finally diagnosed i was in a really bad way. I knew nothing and it was the worst part becasuse there wasnt many forums apart from american ones so i had no one to talk to or inderstand what i was going through. Are you getting any symtoms of havig a thryoid problem? X
    • Posted

They only thing I have noticed is that I am exhausted and my body aches, but I am also coming off of have acute double pneumonia. My work is somewhat physical and I am in and out of doors most of the day....
  • Posted

Ok did you explain to the doctors bout feeling tired and aching. I relapsedd 6-7 weeks ago after having my baby and the first sign i new my thyroid was playing up was that i couldnt pick my baby up coz i was aching so badly also felt tired ( and i know i have a newborb) but i nee summin else was making me tired. Heart palpatations and shakes are another to look out for. I suffer from graves disease. You may be ok but i would stronly recommend going to doctors and asking for TSH and T4 tests. Like i say no one tested me for thyroid for 5 years and doctors generally dont know much about it. In fact i tell my doctor most things lol. Persivere and ask for the tests xx
    • Posted

Yes, they know how achy and exhausted I have been, thats why I went back in the first place. She didn't say anything about my thyroid at all while I was there (maybe not trying to get me worked up over nothing), she just said said blood work to check my white bloodcell count because of the pneumonia. I haven't noticed heart palpatations or anything. I am very aware, because I had open heart surgery to replace a valve 5 years ago. My main symptoms are all over achiness, joints and muscles. Almost like I had worked out a whole bunch after not working out for like 10 years. Also, I am only 41....
    • Posted

Im 31. I would definatly ask to get extra test. Dont worry your self for know but thyroid conditions especialy graves is very over looked xx
    • Posted

Okay....Thanks so much for your responses and information! I definitely will be making more inquiries this week! wink
  • Posted

The fact that you are recovering from the pneumonia shows that you don't have much to worry about.  Not knowing things can be frustrating, though.

The other thing you could do while you wait for more complete information from the doctor would be to take your pulse.  Your resting heart rate should be between 60 and 80 beats per minute.  If it is much different than that, especially if it is very high and won't come down with rest and relaxation, there may be more cause for concern.

• Posted

My resting heart rate is between 60-80, but I am on blood pressure medicine....but your comment is definitely calming me down. I know pneumonia takes a long time to get over and the only reason I went back to the doctor was because of still remaining tired and achy after being cleared for several weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.