Thyroid Cyst

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, So I have a 3mm cyst on my thyroid along with two prominent lymph nodes on the same side.. I’ve had difficulty swallowing and had gotten an odd sore throat where I was hoarse..a month or two prior to the ultrasound along with coughing, ultrasound was a few weeks ago. Chest X-Ray was clear. My dr. Said it wasn’t a big deal and I saw an Ear Nose and Throat dr. anyway who said it wouldn’t cause symptoms and that it was probably acid reflux. I’ve also been getting ear aches. Last weekend, in a picture that was taken while in the mountains, I noticed my throat was pretty swollen on the same side as the cyst. (In my profile picture here) Does anyone have any advice? Prior to the sore throat which is currently persisting with voice changes, I’ve had some joint pain and just am tired often. My thyroid blood work came back normal, along with other blood work. I did have a high C-reactive protein. I do also have a family history of thyroid problems in almost everyone on my dads side of the family. Thanks, Sarah

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, thyroid nodules are found in almost half the population above a certain age (when high-resolution ultrasonography is used). In most cases, these are incidental findings requiring no further action. 

Your cyst is very small (unless 3mm is a typo), and according to your doctors is unlikely to cause the symptoms you are experiencing. 

A few years ago I had ear pain (the worst) and a recurring sore throat and went to the ENT. I had my ears checked but everything was normal except my throat was swollen compressing my Eustachian tubes. 

I wish I could tell you a miracle cure. For about 2 weeks I had to take painkillers/anti-inflammatories to make the earache bearable. It eventually subsided. 

• Posted

That’s interesting and good to know! Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it! 
  • Posted

i know this is an old post but I have the same symptoms as well as nodules. Any answers from doctors?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.