Thyroid issues

Posted , 7 users are following.

Recently had a thyroid biopsy and will be getting the results next week.  I have been telling my doctor that I thought my thyroid was not working well and I just get put off; until I noticed a small goitre hence the biopsy.

My symptoms are:  weight gain, no energy, cold then hot, tired, and digestion issues such as pain on my left side lower back and lots of gas; an acids help some.  It goes from constant to loose movements but not extreme just not liking the feeling of this pain and discomfort.     

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 'pain left side lower back' rang bells with me. When I had this, I had a urine infection. Re: digestion issues - have you had a Coeliac test to see if you are allergic to gluten? After the test, try cutting out gluten and see if the digestiin issues resolve. If so, even if the test is negative, it would indicate you have a gluten sensitivity. Ypu could also have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), or an intolerance to dairy products. It's worth ralking to your doctor about it.
  • Posted

Hello Myinda

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA  I have Hashmoto's Thyroid disease  since 1987.

Thyroid effects how we process food.  The bowels can go too fast and then cramp and then too slow or constipation.

Thyroid disease can be passed on via DNA and also come from EBV - Epstein -Barr virus. It hits women more than men, hits ages 20 to 45 and also after pregnancy or stress on the body.

Symptoms are: Low energy, fatigue,  feeling COLD, sleepy despite rest, weight gain despite diet, muscle aches, hair losss,  brittle nails and dry skin, bad skin acne, brusing, low pulse and low body temp., depressed feelings, constipation and irriatble bowels,  no periods or infrequent ones, and there are more these are common ones.

They need to do TSH level, T3 and T4 levels and TPOA and TGab antibodies tests.

Once you are on a thyroid medication your bowels will get better.  Avoid Gluten because it upsets the bowels and is bad for people with thyroid disease. Ask your doctor for a medication called Omeperazole made for acid reflux as people with thyroid disease can build more acid then other people. Acid leads to gas and bloating and is uncomforatble as heartburn feelings also.

Keep us posted on how you do, any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Have to be very careful with the PPIs as they cause muscle wastage and neuropathy aso heart failure and vasculitis. These drugs interfere with the absoption of vitamins and minerals leading to dietary deficiency problems. Sorry if this sounds like a dampener on things,
    • Posted

Hello Jane

Regarding PPI's,  There have been some long term studies done on Omperazole (Prilosec) regarding calcium and magnesium problems.  These were done on people who took them daily and for many of years.  Have not heard of vasculitis happeneing.  My hubby has been on it for over 5 years and no problems, so certain people may have a tendency to  get this.

There are others on the market Raiatidine also called Zantac which only work for 6 to 8 hours max and are for more mild cases of GERD.

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks for your reply shelly. Do you know what kind of problems the PPI's cause re magnesium and calcium please?
    • Posted

Hello Jane:

The studies I have heard about say that long term usage can deplete magnesium and calcium levels in the bodyand it was a study done on Omeperazole.  There are others that do not last for 24 hours.

The person has to be checked for the above and you would need replacement of magnesium and or calcium if low. They draw blood and see the levels. 

If these levels go low you could see nerve pain and or muscle aches & atrophy(shrinking) of muscles on long term use.  Calcium helps the muscles directly.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

• Posted

I have been on synthroid for 5 years.

I've also cut out gluten, and if I do eat it, I feel awful pain in my lower gut. I also was recently diagnosed with a lactose intolerance. I didn't realize they could be all connected

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.