Thyroid levels up after surgery!...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm nearly 5 weeks post op (partial hysterectomy) and have Graves' disease. My levels were just about in range before the op although my TSH still undetectable! My levels are now on the rise! My T4 is 25.4 and rising. I guess the surgery has pushed it up due to stress on the body. I stopped taking my carbimazole last week but back on it now! 5 mg alternate days. Has anyone else had a problem with this and did it calm down again? Thanks!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Did you mean you had a partial thyroidectomy or was it a hysterectomy?  My Endo does not take a patient off meds unless their antibody levels are normal.  If your TSH level before surgery was non-detectable, you still had high antibodies.  I had the problem of an undetectable TSH for two years though my FT3 and FT4 levels normalized immediately on 10 mg of methimazole, however, TSH didn't move until I added supplements to my treatment.  I got all my levels checked for those vitamins, minerals and amino acids to make sure I was deficient in them before I added these supplements.  I took Regular L-Carnitine, 3,000 mg per day to start, later added and then only took 1,000 then 500 mg of Acetyl-l-Carntiine.  I believe this is what helped lower my antibodies because the Acetyl caused my TSH to rise into the normal range very quickly.  I also took vitamin D, 1,000 to 5,000 IU per day and Magnesium 200 mg. per day.  I think using Acetyl-L-Carnitine requires more caution though because it really needs to be monitored closely and adjusted frequently or patients go very hypo very quickly.  Also, if you have other medical conditions, would run this by your doc first if you decide to try this.

• Posted

Hi Linda, I think we've chatted before! I meant hysterectomy, thanks for this info I think I'll get straight on these supps! 👌

• Posted

Selenium is very good for Graves eye disease.  Like all the rest, I would get my selenium level tested before I took it as I would want to stay within the normal ranges for all the vitamins, minerals and amino acids.  
  • Posted

Due to the mechanical manipulation of the gland during surgery, thyroxine can leak into the blood stream. This would lead to a spike of your thyroxine level after the surgery. Where your thyroxine values closely monitored after your surgery?  
    • Posted

Hi Dan I had my uterus removed not my thyroid but thanks 😃.

• Posted

AArrrggghhh   🙀 now that just made me choke on a luvvllee  cup

up tea there ...   not because you've had surgery Karmaway ..

but the thought of a  uterus being removed from the throat ... 🙀🙀🙀

i really hope  it all  calms down for you Luvvie ... think i'd be trying the 

magnesium also zinc    and maybe some black cohosh...for starters 

Luv Mx🌹

• Posted

Hahaha ouch imagine that!!?? 👀 Thanks Madge I'm sure all will settle! Ugh it's hard work being a lady hey!? Haha xx

• Posted

yes .... it can be Karmaway ...but you have a positive approach to your health and a sunny disposition 🌞    so you'll  win every time ! 

mx🌹

• Posted

As do you! It's the only way! The body hears everything 😆?? X

• Posted

Hi Karmaway, I misread. Hope you get your thyroid under control again on a low dose of Carbimazole.
    • Posted

No worries at all Dan! Thanks! Me too 👌🤞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.