Thyroid medication????

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello there,

I have been having thyroid symptoms for a year. Doctor thought I have monoculeois first, then cancer than finally they figured I had hashimoto's thyroiditis and hypothyroidism. They prescribed me levothyroxine that caused my having bad migraines and lung pain. I took it for 7 days and couldn't do anything at my house for a week. I was in pain!

After talking to my doctor for 2 weeks she still wanted to give me Synthroid even I said no, I don't want to since it is pretty much the same medication as levothyroxine! After few arguments she send me down town to endocrinologist that still prescribed me Synthroid (low dosage) and I am back to lung pain and migraines.

I am really getting sick of taking meds that don't do anything for me and causing me more pain and discomfort!

Does anyone have a good reccomendation of natural medication? What about Armour Thyroid?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Agata, 

Pif you had that bad of a reaction to start with, you're right to refuse, because I can tell you from experience that it only got worse and didn't work at any dose. As the dose is increased, so are the side effects.

I went through a myriad of prescriptions, none of which worked. Now I'm on a non prescription bovine thyroid glandular, that I order online. These non prescription organic meds seem to have the best success.

• Posted

Hello Agata:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's since 1987.

Sorry you have Hashimoto's.  You cean live a good life once you find the right med for you.

Hashimoto's can be triggered by EBV also called Esptein-Barr Virus, ("MONO"wink.  It can also run in families.  It also happens during ages 20 -45.

Now there are many other meds out there.  Some are,  Thyrolar (Liotrix) a T3/T4 combo.  There also  is  Armour Thyroid and Nature's Thyroid and Thyroid S.  All of these are naturals.  They are made from a pig's glandwhich is very close to our human gland and has less nasty side-effects.

There also is  Cytomel and that only  T3.  There is ThyroGold another natural.

Each of us is different and many have problems with Synthroid or Levo.   If you are in the USA, your insurance will cover  Armour Thyroid and may cover all listed above. If you are in the UK, they do not support the naturals via NHS.  You would have buy it on your own.

I took Armour Thyroid for many years.  I have a T4 problem and now take Cytomel only.  Many take the naturals and feel  fine.   So please ask your doctor. Synthroid (Levo) does not work on everyone, so you need to find one that works on you!

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

If something is attacking something else you have to first weaken the attacker which in this case ir the immune system by depriving it of the foods that would make it strong as in the cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and turnip! 

Then you have to build your defences up of the thyroid we know that the thyroid supplies protein to the cells in our body, so we need to build the amount of protein up that we eat! 

What we are trying to do here is fix the T4 and in turn this will fix the T3 within the same process!

Just to let you know my fiancee was going to have to have a biopsy because of a scan she had which showed some polyps I was there at the scan and seen these for myself, it was not looking good, then 4-5 weeks later the doctor whom I had told I would fix her thyroid send her for another blood test and it came back normal nothing more to be done no tablets to take! 

Best Regards,

James. 

• Posted

Everyone is different BUT Armour have done me gooooood Armour saved my life. I was at perfect health until they put me on  Synthroid. Then I was on 9 different meds over 2 years. then I got on  Armour Nov 2015 MY GOD I felt the difference in days. Today as I write thing I am off all those meds. That  Synthroid didn't do me good. Only thing I can say is try it but everyone is different 

• Posted

Hi Agata,

After struggling with similar symptoms and more Before I went on Tirosint which is still synthetic Levo but without the dyes and fillers. I found many of my side effects including the migraines were a reaction to the dyes and fillers...I also am hypothyroid and have Hashimotos. It's taken me 2 and 1/2 years and many medications to finally get to the point where I can function. Check it out it may work for you as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.