Thyroid medication been upped not feeling well.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, i have had thyroid underactive for a very long time. Been on so mamy different levels of thoroxcine from 100mg to 200mg. I was on 150 for a year and now my doctor said my levels are low need to go up to 200mg. I started this 6 days ago and have symptoms of feeling foggy in head , dizzy sometimes and still feeling so down and tired. Is anyone in same boat? Im also getting bad anxiety again.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Possibly side effects, a lot of us suffer side effects from Levothyroxin maybe the increased dose doesn't suit you. Sometimes you just have to insist with these doctors that they listen to how you feel rather than just looking at the blood tests.

• Posted

HI Amanda, the side effects you’re experiencing are real and typical. I tried for several years to get the dosing right. Levothyroxin did not work at any dose. It did not alleviate hypothyroid symptoms, though it did lower my TSH, and cause a bunch of side effects that nearly killed me, as well as severe autoimmune disease.  I’ve never had allergies before, and now have severe allergies even though I’ve been off this medication for over two years. There are many side effects of this medication, which increase as the dosage increases.

Ask your doc to put you on an NDT. You may find the side effects less. If the NDT doesn’t work, try ThyroGold- a non prescription thyroid replacement. This is the closest to human thyroxin and has fewer side effects than prescription meds. It can be used for early thyroid disease, or advanced. My mother does quite well on ThyroGold, and she’s had her thyroid removed.

• Posted

MtViewCatherine - Do you think the levothyroxin caused you to have an autoimmune reaction?  I have been on levothyroxin for about 15 years and I cant help but wondering if I ever really needed it from the beginning.  I feel like I have let my body down and I am very frustrated!  
    • Posted

Jeannie, YES! Absolutely levothyroxin causes autoimmune disease!!!!! It says so right on the drug info sheet. 

By the time I got off  the stuff I was so sick I was bedridden. 

Look, the way this drug is designed is basically a recipe for trouble. I studied molecular biology, I knew better and still was a victim to the medical system. How could you know when you were literally born into a medical system that you were taught to trust?

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and find a way to heal yourself. 

Start by finding some sort of thyroid medication or treatment that usnt harmful. I use essential amino acid complex, acupuncture and herbs. I font think I’ll ever fully recover from the damage from thus drug, but I’m sure going to try! Its so toxic!!!

• Posted

MtViewCatherine thanks!  I received my essential amino acids in the mail yesterday,  What brand do you use and how many?  (the one I got is Solgar and I thought I'd start with 1). My doctor finally called back and added cytomel but said I needed to stay with the same dose of Synthroid.  I picked it up to have it "just in case" because I feel like my thyroid is really swollen and I can't swallow or breath (I think it's the stress of constantly thinking about what is going to happen next  lol. ). I told my pharmacist this and she said no....that won't happen like that-your body will let you know what you need.  This is a tough battle - physically and mentally!  I have an appointment for acupuncture on Monday - I figured I'd mention the thyroid but focus mainly on stress as I think stress may be a huge factor for me right now!

Thanks for all your help and support!

• Posted

Yes, I used Solgar. I was in diarvsyraigts as I had to quit the meds cold turkey. I tried a dose of 1 to make sure I didnt have a reaction. I gradually increased to three a day(one at each meal), and kept increasing until I was at three with each meal (9 per day) I stayed with this for about two months, then tapered back down. Its been a year now and I’m on one a day. If I’m feeling badly, I take two or three and spread them out over the day. 

I’ve also been doing acupuncture, which helps incredibly to get through the symptoms and get the body back on track. 

I’m on a gluten free modified Paleo diet. I eat unprocessed white rice because it’s easily digested, when I get stomach problems. 

• Posted

Also, you’ve increased your dose by a lot at once. This can also make the side effects worse.
    • Posted

Thank you so much i will go see the doctor again and discuss this. Its just so frustrating to get levels right sad
  • Posted

It's very difficult in the UK to get Endocrinologists or Doctors to put you onto NDT, which is totally wrong but it's not licensed here, the only way we can get it is to go to a Private escribe iDoctor and get a prescription for it, we have the problem of finding a Private GP who will prescribe it and a pharmacist who sells it. Details of these can be obtained from Thyroid UK. This can be very expensive and because of import duties buying Thyroid Gold which doesn't need a prescription as thankfully it's classed as a suppliment, also proved to be too expensive for me by the time I added in import duties. All this means we are increasingly limited on what we can do in these circumstances. I'm looking in a completely different direction at the moment.

• Posted

Rosie, we’re you able to try the essential amino acids? If you’ve had your thyroid gland removed, you’ll still need thyroxin replacement of some sort, but the amino acids work pretty well for me with my advanced thyroid disease.

My mother takes the aminos along with ThyroGold and the change from Levo has been wonderful for her.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.