Thyroid medication levels

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi for 7 year's my levothyroxine medication goes up and down like a yoyo almost every time I have my blood's checked my doctor is happy with the treatment they are giving me and would not refer me to hospital as they would do the same does anyone else have this problem of there medication being changed I range from 125mg to 225mg any advice would be great

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

YES! Can't get the dose right. Just as it seems to be right, it goes wonky. The levo didn't quite work right for me at any dose. But even the NDT had problems with dosing.

I've been researching. The levo has a +/- 10% permitted variance from the label dose. So you can get as much as 20% variation between lots. If you're taking smaller pills and combing for a larger dose,my his ok'd compound the problem.

Also, many people with hypothyroidism self-medicated with what I call the caffeine-sugar-chocolate-merry-go-round. Caffeine interferes with thyroid/thyroxin function. So if your caffein intake varies (I tend to decrease my caffeine intake when the meds are working), it could swing your dosage.

If you are drinking diet soda containing nutrisweet, you are getting  synthetic phenylalanine, a precurser to tyrosine. Tyrosine plus iodine are the constituents the body uses to make thyroxin. So this can result in huge changes in your thyroxin levels as well as quality of thyroxin, if you have big changes in your intake of duet soda.

Any of this helpful?

catherine

• Posted

Do you feel better at any particular dosage.
    • Posted

Hi not at all tends to be I get blood test done if I'm feeling tired alot and other symptoms and they adjust my medication

• Posted

Hi,

I'm actually going through this exact same thing right now. I get symptomatic and go for a blood test, I think shows my medication needs to be upped, this goes on for a little while then about 6-9months later I get told that now my medication needs reduced. I've had the same cycle for the past 4 years.

My GP isn't interested at all so long as it's within normal range but this is really no way to live. It's impossible to loose weight as it's low more than it is high, and I constantly suffer with mood swings as a result of the physical symptoms.

I'm currently in discussion with British thyroid foundation for advice, and I think I'm going to ask for a referral to the endocrinologist since my diagnosis I've just suffered with no real advice.

I hope we can share any information we get

• Posted

Thanks for the share I've also been looking into food's which thanks to the information I got on here has opened up my eyes how much food can affect medication worth looking up and comparing food's that cross over :-) hope you find sone use for this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.