Thyroid meds

Posted , 5 users are following.

I read that most pts have to wait 2 hrs between thyroid meds and other meds and food. My endocrinologist told me I only had to wait 15 min.?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was told wait four hours before other meds or anything containing calcium, including multivitamins or milk. So I take Synthroid  it on an empty stomach on waking up. Other meds at bedtime.
  • Posted

I'm on Armour thyroid meds and I have to take them 2 hrs apart in the morning then my calcium tablets in the evening but when i was on 500mg levothyroxine I took all 5 tablets together

• Posted

Its sort of impossible to follow the two hours rule on the meds.

Calcium and other minerals in particular interfere with thyroxin. Best not to take dairy or supplememts with meds. For example, I help my mother with her meds. I give her a half dose each in the morning and before she goes to bed. She does nit have dairy with her breakfast, and her dairy intake is cut off two hours before bedtime. She takes  her vitamins and mineral supplements with her lunchtime meal.

• Posted

Hi My view Catherine I appreciate your respond to my post last few week ago ,I did wait until I got my blood test came back so I will let you and everyone else to see my TSH..2.030 and tyrosine T4 free direct is 1.20. And my t protein. 5.9, and calcium and vitamins a little bit low as,well.Catherine can you please advice is,there are any other test that I should go forward thank you very much
    • Posted

Hello Hung, you should have your t3 and reverseT3 (rT3) tested. There are also antibody tests.
    • Posted

Hi Mtview Catherine, I called my Dr and asking for antibody test and they not so sure what antibody test that i need to take. Please tell me exactly what antibody test that i need thank you hung huynh
    • Posted

Get another doctor. See an endocrinologist.

TPO is the most typical and tests for Hashimoto's and Grave’s.

There’s also TGAb test for thyroglobulin.

If yoir doc doesn't know what tests to run, he will not understand the test results. Get a new doc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.