Thyroid nodule

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Im a 50 year old woman with a thyroid nodule on right side of thyroid.  Thyroid function is fine and had biopsy 6 months ago which was fine, however the nodule was 2.6cm on last exam and it feels like its getting bigger so am quite concerned and worried about possible surgery and the risks, anyone got anything similar, any advice would be welcomed thank you

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Annette:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA and I have Hashimoto thyroid disease since 1987.  I am 55 and have 3 nodules that are under 1 inch.

Nodules are caused by infections and viruses and in some people a family trait.  They can make the thyroid go haywire and cause it to go Hyper or Hypo.  They can press on your throat and can make it hard to swallow or breathe.

Most are doughy in feel and some are dense tissue. They can grow bigger and make a lump appear.

I had Ultrasound  and then Fine Needle Aspiration or biopsy to see what the cells are like.  Most are non-cancerous.  Now if they press hard and make it hard to breathe or swallow,  you may have to have them removed.

They must take out the lobe of the gland on which they are located.  You have 2 lobes so  they can take out 1/2 the thyroid gland or the whole gland if many nodules are there.  You need a thyroid and 1/2 is better than none.   Of course this would make you Hypothyroid  and  would be a hard choice to do.  One you lose a portion or the whole thyroid gland, you will have to be on replacement hormone for life.  They also do RAI (radio active iodine) that kills off the gland but you do not have any reversal once done, it will destroy the gland and nodules.

In some people they have cysts which are more fluid filled and they can be drained if they contain fluid. They can tell by ultrasound.

Mine are small so I chose to watch it by Ultrasound.  It all depends on how you feel and how bad it is for you.

Surgery is a big deal as they cut at the base of your neck and you are under a general anesthesia and you have to recover afterwards. Of course you will have a scar where they cut you. 

Any questions just ask, keep us posted on how you do.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly many thanks for your reply it is so much appreciated and very helpful.  Its really strange how these things come to some of us.  There is nothing in my family but my nodule did appear when I began having problems hormonal like periods stopping for months then starting again.  My nodule is about 3cms and im just worried about it growing because im hoping surgery is a last resort.  The scan showed it being celloid but not thin enough to drain.  I will keep you posted and again many thanks.  I hope all is well with you.  I live in North Wales uk
    • Posted

Hello Annette:

I think you mean the nodule is COLLOID, which means it is NON-Cancerous, (NOT Cancer),  so it is just a fancy word for extra thyroid tissue that formed into a nodule.

2.54cm equals 1 inch so yours is a bit bigger than 1 inch and if I were you I would watch it and not go for any surgery.  Of course only if your swallowing and breathing is okay.

Keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

Great info shelly

I had almost total thyroid surgery 20 years ago all good

Take the meds all good

We just saw a nodule that has grown so needle biopsy time in nov

I wonder what makes the nodules grow??

I had to lower my meds they were too hi

So we shall see

I just wonder what choices i will have if nodule too big since most thyroid gone

Or maybe just a watch thing

Great forum great info

Jozie

• Posted

Hello Partee (Jozie):

A few things cause nodules to grow and form.  A process in the body called Phagocytosis which involves immune system and White blood cells  (WBC) & lymph  systems. An invader ( germ) is detected by the body and part of the  WBC system surrounds it.  Then it is removed by Phagocytosis which eats up the the invader and it is removed from the body.

Some cells can clump and band together and sort of be stuck together and for some reason they do not get removed.  Cells that clump can be like the thyroid tissue or lymph gland tissue.  Some of this tissue adheres to the nearby thyroid gland.  Cells can then grow or replicate and make more cells even if  they are non-cancerous ones. Also some redundant cell tissue that maybe exactly like our thyroid tissue or lymph tissue can make a nodule.  It is unknown why this tissue does it, but it can be related to cell damaged tissue or DNA code inside of us.

Inside our bodies cells are dying off and new cells are being made each day.  In some of us, these clumped cells go a bit haywire and make more of these cells and then they can become a nodule or a cyst.  A nodule is more soild and a cyst is more doughy and can have CELL fluid in them.

Some people have a FAMILY TRAIT, they can have a chemical imbalance for example insulin resistance and can make cysts on the Ovaries.  Some people grow Polyps inside the bowels.  Some areas cysts and nodules tend to be found are ovaries, uterus, bowels, testes, lungs, tonsils, kidneys.  Diabetics can have a higher incidence of cysts or nodules.  Also repeated infections and some lifestyle choices can be a cause. Also they are now looking into enviromental causes pesticides used on food and processed food ingredients, etc..

Nodules/cysts can be watched and they can do FNA, (fine needle aspiration) and good imaging.  If they get big they can press on the throat and windpipe.

They can even grow if no thyroid is there.  It is annoying I know.  I have 3 nodules in my thyroid and they have not changed and they are small and not cancerous.  My ovaries also have cysts on them, and they call it Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

If these nodules bother your medication levels and are functioning which mean making hormones, they like to remove them.  It depends on how they see it on imaging and biopsy.

Please keeep us posted on how you do. You can always PM me.

Any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Great wonderful info u rock really thanks

I just had thr 8 weeks ago so with new hip healing perfectly i will c what stirred up that nodule

I will keep in touch

I am a speech path so my throat is number 1. To me 🌺

Have a fab week

Really thanks

• Posted

Glad i eat well been paleo over a year and no symptomps plus good blood work

Needle biopsy in nov

The info about cells clumping makes sence

My terrific endocrinologist told me think of it as a nusance

I will know more after biopsie

Again have a good work week

Great forum

Jozie

• Posted

Hi Jo Partee:

Stay well and if you ever have any breathing problems or can't swallow do not wait, see your Emergency Facility or A & E . 

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Jo Partee (Jozie):

I know a lady that has 20 nodules around her thyroid.  It was so far the biggest  number I have heard of.

Autoimmune  Thyroid disease called Hashimoto's Thyroid disease, can also cause it. It really is annoying to grow nodules or cysts.  So I agree with your Endocrinologist.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

After being told I needed to have surgery for an enlarged nodule, I went to my own surgeon for advice.  After a scan, he told me the nodule was only 1.3 centimeters, and he performed surgery on those that were 4 or 5 centimeters at least.  Therefore, I am going to a different endocrinologist but will continue followup every six months.
    • Posted

Hi Roxanne many thanks for your reply.  I am tempted to maybe see a private doctor for a second opinion and advice.  I was assured that its better to just keep an eye every six months to look for any changes, hope everything goes well with you
  • Posted

Hello Annette,

My name is Teri.  I am 59, and for the last 19 years I have played a wait and watch approach to my 3 throid nodules.  In the last six months though, 2 more grew rather quickly.  During this time, my thyroid has been considered completely functional, without the need of any medication.  

I had 3 fine needle aspirations, 2 ultrasounds and they all turned out negative.

Then last month the compression on my esophagus became worse.  My gut instinct was to have a thryoidectomy.  My largest goiter measured 3.4cm, and I knew I could be hiding cancer.  I am status post 10 days my surgery, and indeed unexpectedly they found a 0.9cm carcinoma.  I say unexpectedly because it wasn't even in the bigger nodules which were all on the left.  It was on the Right side, where there was no suspicion cast.

I sing, so I was concerned about the surgery.  But I would rather be alive, and not sing.  Trust your gut, and feel your bodies changes.  You will know what to do.  My recovery is going great, and I worried all those years, and feel I should have done it long ago!  Good luck, Teri

• Posted

Hi Teri,  Im so pleased that you are recovering thankfully.  I also appreciate your reply and the time you have taken to help.  Its so difficult to know what to do.  19 years is a long time to wait and watch and I do know that surgery is sometimes avoided unless its needed.  How did the surgery go?  I think thats my main worry, best of luck to you and thanks again, Annette
  • Posted

Hi Annette,

I had a partial thyroidectomy eight years ago due to a nodule which turned out to be benign. I had 49% of my thyroid left and it continued to work. 

I had nodules on the remaining thyroid that were over 2 cm in 2007. I got ultrasounds done yearly and have had two fine needle aspirations. One has grown to over 4 cm so my endo and ENT surgeons have said I need to have it removed because of its size, the Fine Needle Aspiration came back indeterminate and they did an Afirma gene test which said it was "suspicious", meaning there is a 40% chance it's cancerous. 

I've fought the doctors for about four months, but have decided to go ahead and get the surgery done as I'm probably fighting the inevitable, eventually it will need to come out and with the state of health insurance in America...

I don't have any pain or difficulty swallowing or breathing with a 4 cm nodule and it's not noticeable.

My first surgery was as unpleasant as all surgeries but bearable. My throat hurt for a few days, but it wasn't excruciating pain. I think the IV they stuck in my hand hurt more.  

Hope that helps. 

• Posted

Hi there Jules i hope it all goes well for you.  Will you need to take medication following your operation for thyroid function ?I appreciate the time you have taken to reply, its much appreciated, all the best, annette

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.