Thyroid nodule on scan?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a neck ultrasound on a Monday to check a lumpy thing like a boil on the back of neck. It had been there for years and never changed and was assumed a lymph node but got infected and swelled and I had neck swelling too.

I had the scan on the Monday afternoon and was told there were no lymph nodes, my lump was most likely a sebaceous cyst and my salivary glands were ok. (I had had stones there previius).

I thought it strange that she said my scan would be back with my gp in a day or two and the following day it was back with my gp.

I then received a letter on the Wednesday to make a non urgent appointment to see her and was given on just over a week later.

I went on Saturday and was told I had a thyroid nodule and they needed to do a fine needle aspiration biopsy. I had no idea tbh. I had neck pain previous assumed arthritis and swelling and my face often swells. I do feel really cold always and I suffer extreme anxiety and other symptoms but never related them to a thyroid problem.

When I read about thyroid nodules and thyroid disorders I would assume my symptoms would relate more to an underactive thyroid, not overactive.

Reading on there is something about hot nodules and cold nodules.I have no idea what mine is yet.

Does the biopsy hurt and do they numb it? How long does it take for the results or are they instant?

Thanks to anyone that can answer. My husband asked if it's possible it could be cancer and she said yes it could be unlikely. I really don't want the thyroid out.

Thanks

0 likes, 180 replies

180 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Had my TSH test result and it's normal. I hope they get this biopsy done sometime soon. It seems the scan was sent to my gp immediately to say they needed to do a fna biopsy but my gp doesn't seem to be rushing I don't think?

• Posted

Did anyone ever have symptoms of hypothyroidism but normal tsh? I was actually excited that my nodule was going to bring about some treatment as to why I have these symptoms and give me bavk some energy but apparently it's normal. My nodule was found for other reasons on the scan so I wasn't going because I had these symptoms but after they found it and I read about it, it's me????

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I don't have any information for you unfortunately but myself, I have been suffering high anxiety, brain fog, tremors all over etc and was told I just had anxiety. I refused to accept the anxiety diagnosis because I had been fine prior to it starting and was very happy in life when it hit out of nowhere. After many tests and suffering from difficulty swallowing and breathing I eventually got an ultrasound scan which showed I had a cyst on my thyroid which is there from birth. Put on another waiting list then for an MRI with contrast dye which I eventually had yesterday. I'm fed up with symptoms and not getting anywhere with all the doctors. I had to beg for tests. It's being going on almost a year now and I am in such agony all the time. I don't know what will happen. It's a constant merry-go-around of feeling like crap. I really hope things work out for you. This really is a challenging time and it's frustrating with the lack of help from doctors. Or lack of understanding etc. I hope things go well for you. I just wanted to respond because I saw that nobody had posted. Chin up.

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking time to reply deride.

Yes it is frustrating isn't it. I must admit I haven't had to beg for tests, this was found incidental by having a neck lymph node (had thought it was a lymph node for years) that suddenly got infected at the back of my head. Whilst having the scan this was found but looking at the symptoms of thyroid problems they suit my problems with symptoms to a tee. Apparently though my tsh is normal I think so I feel disheartened again. I really thought I would be sorted as I feel so low, very tired all the time, my neck is painful to turn and lots of sleep problems etc.

I have trouble swallowing too but always assumed it was to do with my other problems. I've just accepted it I suppose.

Why did you have a mri with contrast as apposed to biopsy? I am getting a fna biopsy soon as even before they did my bloods this was asked for just for the appearance on the scan of the nodule. I certainly am not looking forward to this but I suppose it's got to be done.

The radiologist who did my scan at the hospital got the results sent immediately to my gp and then I had a letter ftom my gp to see her the following day so everything was quick but not heard anything as regards the biopsy. There is a cancer possibility but I think most are not. I just have to wait now.

Keep me updated with you. I wonder if mine is a cyst? Have you had thyroid blood tests done and what we're they?

• Posted

Hi Karen, I'm not sure why I haven't had a FNA biopsy done yet and I'm not sure why I was sent for an MRI with contrast either. It seem unusual the entire way my situation has been dealt with. I've had all the symptoms of hyperthyroid and hypothyroid in the past 6-8 months. Thyroid disease runs in my family on my mothers side so it was the most obvious thing to me. But I only had TSH and t4 checked. One was low but within range so nothing was said. I also got a thyroid antibody test done last week to check for hashimotos or Graves' disease as I really feel it is my thyroid acting up. My cyst was really only found because I was concerned about some lymph nodes under my ears that have been swollen since last October when I also got a very sore throats and my problems with my throats went from there. It's been a complete run about with different doctors since and none of them listen. But I should know more next week. I'd welcome a FNA at this stage as I'm fed up with the symptoms and difficulty breathing and swallowing and being told it's all in my head!!!

I hope all goes well with your tests. Please keep us updated on how you get on. Best of luck with it all.

• Posted

Oops deirdre. I only just saw your post. How have you gone on? I had lymph nodes all around my base of skull, ears and neck in December 2015. They stayed up for ages. My neck started to hurt a few months later worse. I also suffer swallowing probe but mainly pressure to equalise my ears and my salivary glands have had stones last year (3 removed). I have no idea what relates to what. I have also had major surgery left side ear in 2013.

Let me know how you went on.

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Hope your are doing ok. I don't have any updates for you. I'm waiting for a call regarding my MRI. I have something called a thyroglossal cyst and I've been told by one doctor that surgery is the only way to remove it. But I'm not certain as it wasn't my ENT that said. I'm none the wiser. I'm on another waiting list. I hope things move faster for you. And that you get results and answers soon. smile

• Posted

You don't happen to have high blood calcium do you?  Brain fog is one of the many problems associated with parathyroid adenoma.  I had both hyperthyroid and hyperparathyroid, so I ended up with an operation which removed both my thyroid and a parathyroid growth.  

Your calcium would not have to be hugely high for it to be hyperparathyroid, mine was only slightly raised so I was not diagnosed for years....not till my thyroid went bung.

• Posted

I agree completely. I know I have a parathyroid adenoma, that had been confirmed and I saw the surgeon two weeks ago for a preop consult. Mine started I believe last year, at least in June when I saw my obgyn for hemmorhaging. I ended up having a hysterectomy because of a huge uterus and many gigantic fibroids, but what I think was a clue to the Para adenoma was high blood pressure, and very low vitamin D. When I had my preop physical last September my calcium was a smidgen high. Three days later they tested again and .2 higher. Still elevated post op, and being that my mom had an adenoma at about my ae I insisted on a PTH. Slightly high, but PCP blamed the calcium and in turn PTH on one of my BP meds, and switched things. He refused to refer me to an eno until we rechecked after 8 weeks. Calcium was still slightly high and he then said it was because I was taking too much vitamin D. I told him if he didn't do labs I would go elsewhere. He said fine that he would prove me wrong. Well PTH and Calcium were high, D was one point into the normal range after a year+ on 5000 iy of D daily. I got a quick referral to the endo who wanted to know why I wasn't referred sooner. Symptoms were hard as I am positive for RA factor so the ache's and pains are hard to distinguish a source, and my hormones hAve been out of whack since the hysterectomy last fall. But I have joint, muscle, and bone pain, foggy brain (really bad!), irritable, on the verge of tears all the time, really bad lethargy, malaise, aura only migraines about 6x/month, constipation, insomnia, and did I say lethargy? And high blood pressure which I have NEVER had before. I'm only 52 and shouldn't feel this way. Both the endo and surgeon said I am also mildly depressed--who wouldn't be, and that surgery should resolve most of it. Then at the surgery consult the surgeon did an ultrasound to confirm size, and found a nodule on my thyroid that he said is not a cyst. So last Friday I had a FNA (fun). When the radiologist asked the tech about confirming location on the thyroid she said ues, but that there were spots elsewhere too. No results yet. My hubby is a health care provider, and we saw the images. This is not his specialty, but I am worried. And as stupid as it sounds, I really don't want to gain weight. Could it be cancer, yes, but I'm worried about weight. I have fought to lose 30 lbs since last June, and my appetite has gone ravenous and four are back on. I am 5'2 and need to lose another 80 lbs. And I was laid off in March. I carried the insurance so we're on astronomical COBRA in addition to being down my income. I need to find a job SOON, but how do I do that when I hear people saying recovery from benign stuff takes months to get energy back? Wow, I got off track big time, but yeah, parathyroid is often overlooked. Have them test your PTH, calcium, and D to be sure it isn't that. The only reason my mom found out she had a parathyroid adenoma was when she got kidney stones.

• Posted

AuntieRows, 

I wouldn't say that I have had worse problems with weight since my parathyroidectomy/thyroidectomy.  Because of the thyroxine I take daily, it isn't really much different than before, apart from getting the medication levels right.  Although under stress or illness I still get brain fog, it isn't there all the time any more and is a lot easier to live with.  And there are times when I have plenty of energy...though if my thyroid hormone levels get too high or too low, that will make me feel quite off.

Definitely worth having the surgery though.  I am so much healthier.

Anne

• Posted

Hi Auntie rows

I have got my blood tests for calcium and parathyroid now. My doc wanted them done and looking back I think I may have a problem here. I am 5ft 3. I weigh 54 kg and have never been weighty but I was hypertensive since mid twenties really and medicated for this since 30. I also have recently had 3 salivary stones in my submandibular gland and reading up it can be related (just like kidney) to high calcium level. I suffer anxiety and depression too and I feel tired and hurt a lot at times. (Thought to be depression over the years). I am getting my bloods done next week so hopefully will know by end of next week. I just hope this doesn't mean my thyroid nodule is more likely cancerous though. It's all so much at the moment.

When my doctor asked for the parathyroid tests I then thought back to this reply on here and it got me thinking.

Thanks if you read.

• Posted

Just found out from hospital that my biopsy is a 12 to 14 week wait.

I don't understand having it to be honest and am confused. I always thought a biopsy was to rule out cancer and can't seem to find anything on other reasons for biopsies.

If it's to rule out cancer on a nodule that they found incidental wouldn't you think there wouldn't really be a 3 to 4 month wait? The system confuses me totally on the nhs.

• Posted

Karen, I didn't have thyroid cancer, but I did have a thyroidectomy and I know a little about thyroid cancer.  Out of the many types of cancer, thyroid cancer is the best to get, since it is almost always encapsulated and doesn't spread through the rest of the body easily.

If you do have a cancerous node, they will only remove that part of your thyroid, but if they did take out your thyroid, you would then be on thyroxine or something similar for the rest of your life.  That doesn't cost much and makes you feel pretty normal, unless your levels go too high or low...which you can tell by how you feel.

• Posted

Hi Anne,

Thanks for the input. I am posting on the mac millon site and I have read the same as what you say and lots are questioning surgery from what I read on google even if it is cancer. I myself am tbh.

I only have 3 days to wait now and will post back when I've seen the consultant. I was sent on the cancer pathway so if it's not cancer I will have to be referred agsin I guess for my symptoms. I have not mentioned them to him to be honest. I may do on Thursday but just want to hear "benign" first.

Thanks

• Posted

I really would rather the nhs spend time on the back of my head at the skull base. That problem is ongoing and very painful. It feels like a constant ache and painful to lie on. I think they have missed something here. This is the reason they sent me for my scan in the first place. I may go back to my gp as I'm taking ibrupropen and paracetamol all the time now. I've tried not putting my hair up, not going on the computer etc. but nothing takes it away. I can't live on painkillers .Sleeping is hell and I'm sweating so much at night and then freezing cold. Maybe my age but it's not helping with my neck.

I can't see if this is related to my nodule. I have googled it and lots had pain at the back of their head too. I feel like someone sledge hammered me. Has anyone had thyroid problems that caused back of head pain and fluidy feeling too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.