thyroid operation needed

Posted , 2 users are following.

A large nodule was found during a scan for a stroke and after a fine neede biopsy and scan I was told I needed to see an ENT surgeon. This I did and he said it had to come out in a few weeks time. What should I expect? All I have at the moment is  an irritating cough and slight loss of voice sometimes

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello is it just the one side you need removing?
    • Posted

Yes , the right, but there is another one on the other side, which he is not worried about!

I shold have asked some questions, but was so shocked!

• Posted

I had my right side out first but mine was cancerous so had to have the other side out after the operation itself wasn't so bad was just hard to get comfy and had alot of bruising and a sore throat for a while
    • Posted

So sorry to hear that. what sort of treatment are you on now?
    • Posted

None as of now was told last week there is no trace of the cancer now but I had to have two lots of radioactive iodine to kill the remaining tissue but one thing to remember only 10% of nodules are cancerous so the chances are yours could just be benign
    • Posted

Well I hope it is have you had the operation date through yet?
  • Posted

I had mine 2 weeks later the operation itself isn't so bad and neither is the recovery
    • Posted

May I ask where? I am going to St George's in Tooting and hope to get my holiday in July!
    • Posted

I had everything done at Lincoln county hospital in Lincolnshire and I was going on holiday as well and still went ahead with it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.