Thyroid or Menopause - which is it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 47 year old female. I've had hypothyroidism for a few years, which is treated with Levothyroxine. My OBGYN recently confirmed through blood work that I am in full blown menopause. My T4 is in normal range (1.07) and my TSH is normal (2.040). However, my symptoms are getting worse by the day. Extreme fatigue, dry skin, joint pain, blurry vision, brittle nails, anxiety (mind moving really fast, but body extremly tired) and my throat feels like it's stopped up, but there is nothing coming up. I keep trying to clear my throat with coughing to no aval. I have horseness in my voice and although I can swallow, it feels weird. I just feel sick and I've been feeling this way for a while. 

The Endocrinologist is having me come in for a sonogram next week and explained my they may need to remove my thyroid.

My question is: are there any items on the labs which indicate if the gland is just enlarged, nodule, goiter or possibly cancer? Or, do I just have to wait for the sonogram? 

I obviously don't know how to interpret this data, but my DHEA Sufate is high (273.7) and some of the items on my metaboci panel are high.

Any thoughts? What are the standards for the decision to remove the thyroid.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wow, I am bewildered....because I just was given a RX for Levothroxine with instructions to only take after having my thyroid removed.  So why are you taking it for hypothyroid and me as thyroid replacement?

My experience over 2+ years dealing with those who call themselves endocrinologist (6-7 possibly more) is the "standard" for removal fluxuates from "your insurance will never cover it" to "your tests over the 2 years indicate eligibility".  I chose removal over RAI.  I am sick all the time as well, fatigue doesn't cover it, sleeplessness, brain fog/memory gaps with my T 4 levels are in 200's as well as TSH.  I am sadly convinced no one really knows which points directly to the words on each MD's diploma "Practice Medicine." 

Good luck with all decisions you need to make!

• Posted

Is your calcium level over 10 on your metabolic panel? If so,  you may be dealing with a parathyroid tumor. (They're almost always benign) but they cause lots of problems including fatigue, joint and bone pain, anxiety, The list is long. 

It happened to me and I thought it was either menopause or my thyroid, but I was wrong, it was a parathyroid tumor. I feel 100% better since I had it removed.  Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks for the response...so I hope once they get me on the table they should be able to tell what needs to be removed, para or thyroid.  I am on Aybss Avenue as I nicknamed it.  In July I was put on 50mg a day of methimazole.  That lasted 12 days until I was a zombie in an abyss only Dante could describe.  But my T #'s were grand and I was declared a success as finally the right dose of RX was achieved.  I literally could not form words and I lay under my bed with my little dog for an unknown amount of time.  I went to my hematologist's office and was given IV fluids.  I sat in a ball covered over with a throw I had brought with me.  I have refused ANY RX ever since.  But as of 9/22 I am on 40mg a day, I already can feel I am on the path that leads to only one route, Abyss Ave.  Blood draw is 9/28 and hematologist's appt 9/30.  Once the numbers are safe for surgery, someone on the schedule will be bumped to fit me in with in 24-48 hrs.  So it's either going to be an overnight or if as the surgeon called it they find a grumpy bear and have to poke it I could be in hospital at least a week.  Here's to the unknown and being on Abyss Ave as short as possible.  

Im quite thrilled to see you you say "100%", huge congrats!!!  It's the first time I have heard anything positive or encouraging.  I hope you continue on the 100% path.

Best to you Ambriel...

• Posted

Hi again,

If you want to rule out a parathyroid tumor, a simple blood test called PTH along with a serum calcium test will confirm it. So if your calcium is over 10 and your parathyroid hormone level (PTH) is elevated, you have a tumor. (They're always benign-99%) This causes all kinds of havoc in your body. Just google parathyroid com for more information. At least you can rule it out and move onto something else if that's not it 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.