Thyroid, peri or just dying?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have been experiencing symptoms of what I thought was perimenopause since around March or April of this year. Since that time I have had pretty consistent night sweats and sometimes very definite hot flashes but only very in early in the morning between 5 and 7 AM. panic attacks/anxiety/dread every day esp in morning. No hot flashes during the day. I also became hypothyroid from Hashimoto’s for the first time after Suffering from Graves’ disease flareups in my 20s and 30s. Over the last six months my period for the first time has become irregular even skipping one and the rest arriving every three weeks instead of 30-32 days. I was convinced this all was peri but my endocrinologost called me and said my labs show "I have the ovaries of a 20-year-old" (I'm 47!) and my FSH is 5.

My TSH is 5 but not as bad as it was last year when it was 12. I still have a goiter with 4 nodules which the levothyroxine is not helping go down. Biopsy was negative thank God. Feels like there’s a lump in my throat and neck every day and the sensation is quite painful. fatigue getting worse. horrible allergies and sinus problems too. ENT sick of seeing me.

obviously I am very worried that my night sweats and other symptoms mean I have some sort of cancer since the labs indicate I am nowhere near perimenopause. My other lab work results were normal except for my prolactin which was high which is supposedly from my thyroid also. Can anybody make sense of all of this? anyone had night sweats etc but normal hormone tests?

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Andrea. My daughter is hypothyroid but doesnt have Hashimotos. Being both hypo with hashi's makes controlling it a but more difficult. If your TSH is a 5, its still too high. It seems you need more levothyroxine. I know in different countries the normal TSH levels are different, but in the US ( where I live) you find many doctors that start treatment if your TSH level is over a 3. The levothyroxine will not control your Hashimotos. Your thyroid will eventually stop working as the Hashis destroys your thyroid gland, but there are no meds that actually control hashi's and therefore you will get hashi flares, as they are called.... its going to do its thing on its own time until your thyroid gland is caput. Some say going gluten free helps cut down on the hashi flares, but its not a scientific fact... but it does help some, so may be worth a try. Since you have Hashi's, your TSH will fluctuate depending on whether you're having a hashi's flare at the time. When you have one, the thyroid gland dumps more TSH and you could feel hyper despite still being hypo. What dose levothyroxine are you taking? Has your TSH ever been controlled on levo ( 1 or lower)? Honestly, it sounds like your endo is a bit lacking as far as thyroid knowledge. You have symptoms, nodules and a high TSH despite being on levothyroxine. Does he have a plan to help you feel better or has he just told you your lab ranges are within normal range and sent you on your way? My daughter is now 20yrs old and we've been trying to get her feeling good and healthy with treatment for over a year. We have been to 2 different dr and are now searching for another. Seems all they care about is an in range TSH and nothing else matters to them. Its an arduous process. I'd focus on getting your thyroid controlled better and then see how you feel. Its surprising how much it controls and how crappy you can feel if its off. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Audra,

I read a research Black Seed oil can help Hashimoto. You may google to read the article.

• Posted

i have found going gluten free makes me feel much better , there is research out there ref the antibodies and how gluten can have an impact on this . COELIAC being another autoimmuine disease , i have my bloods tested twice a year by my doctor and he goes by the TSH range and if its well in range i must be feeling good . I have endless arguments with my GP as they know very little ref thyroid and most endocrynologists train for diabetes not thyroid disease ... i habe had it over 20 years now and not sure whats peri and whats thyroid trouble now, i have had to help myself feel better as in vit D and magnesium and having a healthy diet ..., having no wheat rye or barley , gluten ... also i cut down on dairy as well ...

• Posted

I am turning 44 in two weeks. My period comes every 21 days (heavy w/clots). My blood work was normal and my OBGYN dismissed me being perimenopause. I have all sorts of symptoms, mainly vision. My FSH was 3.9.

• Posted

I have multiple goiters and my mom had thyroid issues but the labs just don't show I have thyroid problem. I go my gyno doctor to give me another thyroid scan order so I can see if they have been growing in the last 6 months. I need concrete proof if I have a thyroid issue.

I feel like crap most of the time and it has been going on for at least 8 years and my labs look great except my cholesterol and things in that area but it has been bad since my early 30s. If you have a FSH of 5 you could be fertile for a very long time. Be careful because even if you stop having a period you could still get pregnant for at least one year.

Sometimes labs don't tell the whole story unfortunately.

• Posted

if you have goiter/nodules with normal TSH they usually recommend a biopsy. have you had one? good idea to rule it out even though thyroid cancer very slow growing.

• Posted

Hey andrea, I was reading that you had graves disease then hashimoto? How did u know, I think I'm in peri I'm 47 and all this stuff has been happening like I've been on synthroid meds for 13 years I've never had it checked and now all if a sudden one side of my thyroid looks bigger than other, is this normal? I'm worried, and scared.. sorry to hear your stuff too.. hugs to you.. do u think that's what I have from your experience? Love to hear your opinion

• Posted

im confused-you have taken synthroid for 13 years with no check up or exam or blood work done by an endocrinologist?

• Posted

you get diagnosed with GRAVES and/or HASHIMOTOS with a blood test. if you have the disease your antibodies for it will be sky high. you can be asymptomatic but if you have antibodies it never just goes away. i initially only had hyperthyroidism for many years usually triggered by childbirth and severe stress. only at 47 with peri did i have any trouble from the HASHIMOTOS. i have seen my endocrinologist every six months for 20 years and recently my TSH came back high and I had a goiter with nodules after no thyroid trouble for 8 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.