Thyroid, peri, something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I posted earlier about dry mouth, thought about going to walk-in clinic today but have decided to make an appointment with my gynecologist instead.  I have a lot of symptoms of hypothyroidism and plenty of peri symptoms, especially after ovary removal last year.  The worst symptoms are weight gain and slow metabolism, even though I walk an average of 2-3 miles daily, anxiety, depression, irregular periods (anywhere from 15-35 days apart), panic attacks, worsened PMS, achy joints and muscles, brain fog, and sometimes sore breasts, also occasional insomnia that has become worse lately.  Recently, I've started having dry mouth with chapped lips and a burning feeling on the tip of my tongue, which also looks redder than normal and is more sensitive than normal.  I took my temperature this morning and it is 96.3.  It has been low on other mornings when I've checked it.  My GI doctor diagnosed a Vitamin D deficiency in May based on bloodwork results.  He also felt the thyroid area and did not find any abnormality.  I have never had a TSH test, though.   Could this be a thyroid problem anyway???  Or is it all peri, or both?  I'm so confused and tired of worrying all the time.  It feels like my body isn't mine anymore, never knowing what will happen next.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liz,

unfortunately  the symptoms you list are all part and parcel of menopause. I have had all plus more. The dry mouth and nippy tongue I still have. I got a mouth wash from the chemist,over the counter, which helps a bit. HRT has helped with many of the worst symptoms, and I use homeopathic remedies for the rest. Doctors try to put you on anti depressants, sleeping tablets and beta blockers. I made the decision not to take any of these. I use magnesium and kali phos, both in cell salt form, which help hugely. I also used magnesium in a night time formula spray, which cured the insomnia. I also take a high dosage of vit b complex and when necessary I use an iron supplement. I have spells of mild anxiety, but they are manageable. Try Propalis lozenges for the dry mouth at bedtime. When I think back to where I was a few months ago, I can't quite believe that I survived  the whole circus. And all of this could have been prevented if one of the doctors at my surgery had not interfered with the hrt I had been on, with no problem, as he deemed I should no longer be on hrt because of my age. This instigated  hormone imbalance for many months. I have now been told by a senior member of the practice that I will probably always have to take hrt and he will not stop it! I can live a normal life  now and even managed a holiday, hold down my job, and can feel again. I hope reading this helps you to understand that things CAN get better. 

• Posted

Supemack39, thanks again... I bought some lozenges this morning and also got some Rescue Remedy because that helps me sometimes.  I've been taking a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement in the evening that usually helps me sleep, but lately I am waking up a couple of hours earlier than usual and sometimes can't go back to sleep.  I also take evening primrose oil, flaxseed oil, Vitamin B complex, and I was taking the Vitamin D3 mentioned yesterday, in addition to my prescription Crohn's medication.  So complicated!  It helps to hear that things can get better.  I feel like a dog chasing its tail all the time trying to track down solutions to symptoms and figure things out.  Very reassuring to hear about the mouth/tongue symptoms, to know it's not just me.  I continue to be blown away by the craziness that peri brings on... my mom had a really rough ride with it years ago, but even she has said she didn't have all the symptoms I've had.  Whew!

• Posted

You mentioned you use a magnesium night time spray formula for sleep. Can I ask what it was called and how effective it is for you?  Thank you
  • Posted

Liz, it's safe to say that many women on this forum feel your pain.  Perimenopause can be a really difficult time.  In fact, I had more symptoms in peri than actual meno.  

The only thing you can do at this point is get some very comprehensive blood work to rule things out.  You can ask for not just a TSH test check your thyroid, but also T4 and T3 levels as well as the tests for autoimmune thyroid disease.  As far as your sex steroids, it's best to run the FSH on the first couple days of your cycle to see how loudly your FSH is screaming for estrogen. But in peri, it's often difficult to get labs that truly reflect how badly a women is feeling.  

I truly know that feeling that your body isn't yours anymore.  It's more than disheartening.  Good luck with your labs.

• Posted

Gailannie, thank you for the additional information about the blood tests.  I'm familiar with the FSH from having it last year before I had an ovary removed.  I've never had any of the thyroid tests but definitely want to get those as soon as I can - I know thyroid problems run in my dad's family.  Thanks for the reassurance.  I am going to request these tests, at least for the reassurance and at most to treat any issues that are identified.

• Posted

Liz, I have every symptom you mentioned EVERY SINGLE ONE! My lips would get so dry it would have layers of dry skin pieces of it would come off when I raked my tongue over it. I WOULD actually pour olive oil over them throughout the day!!! Everything you said I am dealing with and more such as chills, shiver, low body temps hot flashes, red face , anxiety and panic were through the roof! Sleeping is a few hours here and there and i wake up and make my self  just lay there , i even have the internal nervousness, buzzing in side, leg cramps , sore breast and nauseated  brain fog, crying spells well the list just goes on!!!!
    • Posted

Crosado8, I am sorry you are going through this, too.  I also have an overbite that could only be surgically corrected (which I'm not willing to do), so I'm a mouth breather and that makes it even worse... such a nightmare.  Honestly, as much as I feel bad that this is happening to other women, it's kind of a relief, too, to feel less alone.  But it is miserable, isn't it?  Take care of yourself as best you can and thanks for helping me feel a little better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.