Thyroid Problem.

Posted , 3 users are following.

( excuse my spelling and Grammar, i'm french )

I'm 20 years old from Canada, i just found this website after reading forums about this. anyway

a few years ago i was diagones with a slow thyroid, so my doctor got me meds,

but knowing me i didn't want to take them so i went and tried on a more organic/natural way of controling it.

after i told my family they tought i was crazy and putted it in my head that i would end up with thyroid cancer if i don't take my meds,

after a year of not taking my meds, i am scared out of my mind,

i checked online for sympthoms, i had a cold a few months ago and the cought never went away, i know that would be a sympthoms. i am scared to talk to my doctor. because i always think ( what if she yells at me) i just don't know what to do. i want to keep trying more organic stuff, but i also don't wanna push my limits. and i can hardly sleep at night just thinking i might have thyroid cancer.

i need advice! please be nice.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Take your meds prescribed by the doctor. Don't be scared. And tell your doctor about the organic stuff you are taking. Imm sure your doctor will understand you. God bless and Merry Christmas.
  • Posted

Hi bruno, I agree with the Ianbucz...take the meds your doctor gave you. My thyroid started to fail when I was 30 but it took three years to get a diagnosis, and in that time a whole lot of horrible things happened to my body. The thyroid control the metabolism of every single cell, so nothing works as it should do when you have a low thyroid.

And that means your immune system too! I was forever coming down with something, and similar to you I remember having a cough that just wouldn't go away for weeks, if not months! It felt like a hair was caught in my throat.

Go back to your doctor if you are worried, but I would seriously advise you to start taking what your doctor prescribed. 

Best wishes. x

• Posted

what were you diagnosed with if you don't mind me asking?  i'm calling my doctor tomorrow to make an appointment. but i am still scared out of my mind, it seems that everytime i think about it, my whole body hurts, i just feel like something is wrong. i hope il be alright, but it's scary.
    • Posted

I have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroid). Because it took me three years to be diagnosed I was in a really bad way. Scary things were happening to me. I literally thought I was dying!

Having thyroid problems can also cause anxiety and even depression, because like I said before, the thyroid controls the bodies metabolism, and that includes your brain.

I felt soooo much better once I started on the medication (levothyroxine). I started off on 50mg, then up to 75mg and then up to 100mg, which I have been on for 5 years.

• Posted

Sorry for not being able to get back to you guys faster, my computer ended up dying on me lol had to buy a new one, and then I moved. anyway.   

I started with levothyroxine 50mg. and  it was alright for awhile then I just toke a blood test and my doctor will have to level it up. however ( it didn't go up a lot) 

I am feeling better...... last week I started having a weird Hair ish feeling at the back of my throat again. so I went to the ER and got it checked. it turned out to just be a throat infection. however I asked the doctor  that was there if it was better to take the levothyroxine in the morning or at night and him at first said in the morning. but  said he was going to check. so he did and he said that there's nothing in the book that says when to take it. ( i asked because I have heard and read that for some it works better at night) so I am now trying it at night before bed.... he said it doesn't hurt trying. and that if it works better for me that way to keep doing it....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.