Thyroid problem

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with hyper thyroid and graves disease been taking medicine for it for a month now....my body aches very bad sometimes could that be from my thyroid?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi melissa33850,severe hyperthyroidism can cause muscle pain and weakness.

However, anti thyroid medication, in my case Carbimazole, caused aching and stiff joints at higher doses (30mg per day). Did you have any body aches before starting your medication?

• Posted

Hello Dan, yes I did have body aches before finding out about my thyroid but it's seems to be worse now.

• Posted

It could be the dosage you are on.  More likely, it could also be vitamin, mineral and amino acid deficiencies your body has since it became hyperthyroid.  Especially you may be deficient in Carnitine, vitamin D and Magnesium.  I was deficient in all of these and I was only mildly (10 points above normal) hyperthyroid.  If you can, see if you can get tested for Total and Free Carnitine, vitamin D and Magnesium and if you are deficient, start taking these supplements.

• Posted

Oh yeah, I not only have aches but difficulty walking and I cannot raise my right arm. I have waited over 4 months to see an Endocrinologist, and I finally get to see one today. I was truly hoping medication would help, but from what I have seen on this site, many have had difficulties with the medication, but many also say things get better over time.
    • Posted

Arlea,

It sounds like you have "frozen shoulder" on your right side. It could be caused by the combination of three conditions:

1. Lower neck disc pathology or nerve compression. Frozen Shoulder almost always occurs in patients with lower neck disc conditions or muscle contraction conditions which compress the nerves supplying the shoulder and arm with motor and sensory information. (eg. thoracic outlet syndrome.)

2. Hormonal imbalance. Frozen shoulder always occurs in those with hormonal imbalances such as menopause, diabetes, thyroid, adrenal stress, testosterone imbalance, etc.

3. Shoulder strain injury (usually undetected by patients)

The factor #2 points to one of the hormonal imbalances we GD patients suffer: thyroid/autoimmune disorder, which and #1 (neck disorder) could cause inflammation on your shoulder joint triggered by #3 (mechanical strain/injury on the shoulder). I hope you can get help on this from your endo too. GL

• Posted

Thanks Mike. I finally got to see an Endocrinologist yesterday, and had the blood work done. He said I may not have hyperthyroidism, but then again I will have to wait and see he stoped my regular meds except two. He thinks one medication may be causing problems.

i should know soon about my blood work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.